• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Few More Baltimore Show Thoughts by Electric Peak Collection

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

And a long time taking coin pictures...

Having bought a third coin in just a couple weeks, I had no more desire to tempt myself at the show on Saturday. But I did go for a couple hours, including the EAC meeting. I looked at one more half dime that I hadn't noticed the previous days. Fortunately, close examination identified it as a loser, and I didn't spend any more.

The EAC meeting was good in that it's good to meet up with those friends in the hobby again. But the meeting itself was not very interesting this time. The discussion was mainly related to the upcoming club convention in Colorado Springs in May, and ideas for the future of the club publication, Penny-Wise.

One thing I did not mention previously about my Friday activities was that, having purchased an upgrade for my 1862 half dime, I tried to sell the old one. It is a nicely struck, white, lustrous, virtually unmarked NGC MS66. I do like it, and I didn't want to part with it for little money. So my asking price turned out to be more than any of the dealers to whom I offered it were willing to pay.

Two of the dealers asked me the same question, which I had never been asked before when trying to sell a coin. That was "How long have you had it?" That got me thinking. I obtained this coin in a Heritage auction. I leave things like auction stickers on the slabs. So the dealers knew where I got it. This slab does not have a CAC sticker. So I wonder: Does Heritage routinely submit coins to CAC? If so, when did they start? Were those dealers trying to discern indirectly whether this coin had been rejected by CAC?

I also fetched the bulk of my seated half dime set from the bank for a couple days for some photography experiments with the iPhone and magnifier. It's great to have them home to enjoy once in awhile! So far, I have been focusing (pun intended) on close-ups of the dates. I've made a couple interesting discoveries. They may not be original, but they're new to me. There is no good, detailed seated half dime reference book yet. I may journal about these finds at some point.

But for now, here's the reverse of my 1859-O, of which I had no prior photograph. I purchased it from a dealer at the March 2013 Baltimore show, and was unable to find it in auction archives.

Happy collecting!

Alan

15348.jpg

See more journals by Electric Peak Collection