• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Commentary on "Little Tricks to get "Details Graded" Coins into Regular Slabs..." posted by JoeFerentz

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I've experienced the woes of having a coin come back Details Graded, but seriously...

WKF...I was intrigued by your article, but soon got kind of grossed out. Ear wax? Seriously? I hope I never get a coin that you had sent in for grading! NGC might need to come up with a new details description: Waxed, Ear.

Hey man just kidding.

As far as carrying a coin around in your pocket. Doesn't it seem that doing so would only cause more wear?

Who out there would want a coin that was carried around in somebody's pocket before or after being rubbed with ear wax? Just sayin'.

See more journals by JoeFerentz

If I could get one of my High end 19th century gold pieces to regrade without details I'd carry it around in my pocket with ear wax and even spoon as they say. Even if it meant a lower grade I'd be thrilled!! Short of selling one of my muscle cars or longhorn cows I'd do anything. I hate details on my coins but for some of them it's the only possible way I can afford to complete a set. Specifically my two main coins of concern are 1879-O $10 AU details and 1879-CC $20 AU details. I just don't have the...let's say big enough coins to try what WFK does. It's not the profit I'm after just would like a complete original set. The 1879-O $20 might be out of my reach even raw covered in...again spoon.

to regrade without details

I hear ya man, but if somebody's "1879-O $20" was details graded and then they rubbed ear wax and carried it around in their pocket (maybe the reverse as I would imagine ear wax would attract a lot of pocket lint!) sent it back in and it got a better grade, then you bought it at the better grade, you would be ok with that?