• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Name 5 coins you could put in a safe for 20 years and forget about?

32 posts in this topic

I don't think that there are less overall collectors per se, but do agree that younger collectors are not into coin collecting and general numismatics as their parents and grandparents were. The barrage of reality based collecting shows coupled with record breaking auction sales announced by the media on a regular basis is causing a speculative market across many facets of various collecting fields. A lot of younger collectors are also much more geared towards the financial aspect of collecting which is truly unfortunate as I don't think the market can continue to sustain record setting prices in areas like comic books, toys, and vintage advertising.

If I were to pick five types of coins it would be:

$20 Saints in MS

Early date walkers (as already noted)

CC-Morgan dollars in MS

1917 Type 1 SLQ

Better date Peace dollars in MS 63 +

Just google it and it should pop up. Maurice Rosen, let me know if you need the number of his business. It comes out four times a year. Buying at dealer wholesale prices would be key, as otherwise you have to gain 20% in order to make a profit. Precious metals are a lot less complicated and there are dealers like Richard Nachbar who have been discouraging holding coins as an investment for years while buying collections at huge profits to himself.

Thank you for this information and for the links. I'll call the number and subscribe. Are dealer wholesale prices included in this or do you mean greysheet or the one for certified coins? I don't subscribe to these but have noticed an increasing discrepancy between values listed in NN, CW, NGC website, etc.