• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When do you give up on a copper????

6 posts in this topic

I bought an 1800 Large Cent off Ebay several month's ago. It was completely green with verdigris or so I thought. After soaking it in Olive oil for several months I saw no change. I then used the potato method that LM on the PCGS forum told me about and although the potato turned green and black, the coin is still completely covered in green.

So now I have moved on to acetone........Goo Gone.....even peroxide????Any thing I can think of other than scrubbing the surface with something abrasive.

Is there any hope for this copper cent or should I just accept that it is a lost cause???

The coin is no better than an AG or G-4, but I had hope to save it and bring it back to a respectable condition, but other than scrubbing the [#@$%!!!] out of it.......I don't know what I can do? sorry.gif

The method of LAST RESORT for verdegris is a solution of nitric acid. This is the acid that is used to test gold jewelry. Use the 10K strength, since the 14K or higher gives off a noxious/toxic gas when applied to copper. When using nitric acid, use a well ventilated room or area and make sure you don't breath over the coin. After applying the nitric acid, wait 5-10 seconds, then wipe the coin with a disposable paper towel, removing all acid, then place the towel in water and dispose. The acid will eat the verdegris leaving a clean planchet. However, the coin will have pitting from the verdegris, so don't expect a great looking coin. Then, use Blue Ribbon to cover the surface. The coin WILL NOT look great, but more palatable to the eye.

TRUTH

Any jewelry supply store(not jewelry store), sells small bottles of nonconcentrated nitric acid. Ask for the 10K(karat) strength solution. Should cost under $5. Sometimes they sell it in packs of 10K, 14K, 18K strengths. No special license required to buy it. Use care when appying. It's not a big deal if you accidentally spill some on your fingers, just wash off thoroughly. Sometimes the acid will discolor your skin, but eventually the discoloration fades. The main protection is to the eyes, mouth and lungs. If possible, use a small face mask and goggles.

TRUTH

Then, use Blue Ribbon to cover the surface. The coin WILL NOT look great, but more palatable to the eye.

TRUTH

Truth, what is Blue Ribbon and what does it do? Thanks for the reply.