• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on toning

19 posts in this topic

Wow, that's a first. Looks like it got that strictly from contact with something reactive over a long period. That only the high parts were affected is cool as hell.

100% original IMO.

I have never seen anything like that before. It's almost like a coin doctor was trying out a test patch although the color looks genuine, and I have not reason to doubt that it's NT other than it's really odd. .

I have seen a similar look when a BU coin is stored in a 2x2 flip and there is a small hole or tear in the 2x2 exposing just a small part of the coin to the environment....looks NT to me.

Very cool. Honestly I cant tell if its MA. I agree with Kryptonite... I have seen toning thats similar on coins with a ripped cardboard 2x2.

If its not expensive I would buy it and take a chance (if you dont own it) and if you do -- send it in for grading. It will bring a nice premium if its in plastic.

I have seen a similar look when a BU coin is stored in a 2x2 flip and there is a small hole or tear in the 2x2 exposing just a small part of the coin to the environment....looks NT to me.

(thumbs u

Here she is in her slab.

IMG_2447.jpg

The obverse has the same vertical toning although it's much lighter.

IMG_2448.jpg

Thanks for the thoughts on how this toning occurred.

Little Rant time_ Don't you hate it when a seller places their sticker over the hologram and this is the result?!?!?! rantrant

IMG_2449.jpg

Almost looks colorized. Definitely not MA.

I will have to disagree. I believe the toning is natural and that there's a good chance it would also be deemed "MA".

And even though I probably feel as strongly as you do on the subject, I will refrain from using words such as "definitely". Because neither you nor I know it for a fact - we are merely giving our opinions.

Eidted to add: I see that NGC did, indeed, consider the coin to be "MA".

I like the toning, a little odd but IMO its NT and I would have no problems owning the coin.

Yes my biggest pet peeve is when other dealers place a sticker right on the hologram. Sometimes I get lucky depending on the sticker type and I can get it off, other times the end result is the same as you have posted.

Mike I dig that coin. I believe it to fully NT but wonder how it happened. I think that Shane's evaluation of the coin is probably spot on.

It's certainly unusual but I don't see any reason for it to be "AT" given that, IMO, it doesn't really enhance the value or make it nicer all that much. So why would someone bother to fake the toning given the result?

And, yes, I hate it when sellers (and often auction houses) use Super Glue enhanced stickers placed over the hologram. Annoying....

jom

This sounds like the most plausible cause to me, and I have no problem believing that the coin is NT.

For those who had questions about the color on the coin, I think there is considerable similarity to the color on this one and I doubt that many would question it:

see here

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

This was going to be my response, too. The color looks very natural, and this happens often when there are holes or tears in 2x2 windows.

Here she is in her slab.

I guess that means she's MA. I guess that means, excellent setup question, you caught a few of our resident MA experts.

I have a question. Is MA reserved for the feminine gender? If this were a Roosevelt Dime, for example, would the toning be PA? You know, MA and PA? I'm not an expert.