• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dansco 7070 Type Set

14 posts in this topic

Has anyone here worked on completing the Dansco 7070 Type Set album? If so, do you continue to upgrade, or are you content with the coins you have?

I completed that set a few years back, then shifted my attention to the online registries. I occasionally pull the 7070 from the lockbox, but my registry coins are of a much higher caliber.

I remember reading about collectors who would buy their coins graded, then crack them out to fill their Dansco 7070 Type Set albums. They would tape the NGC or PCGS labels to the inside front and back covers of the album. Some had no regrets, while some regretted their decision. I remember reading one account where a collector tried to get his coins back into slabs, but the grading companies dinged him a point of two from their earlier grades. I guess the coins could have suffered some sort of minor damage that caused the TPG to put them in a lower grade, or more likely the collector just bought over graded coins from the dealers he patronized, and on resubmission, the chickens came home to roost. I suspect some dealers resubmit coins that appear high for their grade, and sell those that look about right or low for their TPG grade.

I am working on a 7070 set, but I'm doing it on the registry (I don't have the folder). This is my prooflike set.

And yes, when I see high quality upgrades for coins I already have, and if it is a good price, and the eye appeal and mirrors are strong - I will buy it.

I have two 7070 sets in progress. One focuses on low-grade coins (VG) except for the modern, easy pieces of course, with an effort to get strictly original coins. The other is my "very expensive" set, which is a mixture of either beautifully tone coins, or key-dates. For example, my "VDB" representative is a 1909-S VDB!

My sets are in the actual albums. In either case, my philosophy is "buy once". I buy a coin for permanent inclusion, and have never traded or upgraded any.

I've had a bit of churn in mine, limiting my progress. I will see something I like better and sell an existing piece to help fund the acquisition of something nicer (and not necessarily replacing it with the same coin type). I see this as part winnowing (as my experience has increased and my standards have risen) and part to keep my collection fresh. On balance the winnowing activity in several cases has cost me money, but right now I'm proud with what is there from a quality standpoint.

I have a long way to go to complete my basic set but I'm having fun along the way!

My 7070 type is complete with several coins I cracked out because I wanted to make sure they were genuine -- like the seated dollars, 20 cent piece and others that are often faked.

It took me 30 years to complete it, but nice to have it done and I like them all raw in the 7070 presentation.

Good luck.

Still working on my 7070. I have bought raw and graded for mine. When I see a coin I like for a slot, I buy it. I have upgraded along the way also. Mine will probably never be finished but a joy to fill the holes as the years go by.

:)

DSCN4276.jpg

I'm still working on mine but they are mostly slabbed and will stay that way. I like to see progress so I have chosen grades I can afford. When complete I will then begin the upgrade process and having already slabbed coins will make it easier to sell the existing lower grades, especially online.

My current collecting criteria is MS or PF for 20th century, XF40 or higher for 1850s-1900 and F12 or better for 1796-1850. While initially some of my coins won't meet the criteria all future purchases do. Part of that is regretful buys from years ago or haste to fill it fast without enough forethought. All my coins will be problem free and that is a criteria I won't waver on.

Since my collection includes gold this is the best way for me to afford it. If I sold my gold I could easily have it complete tomorrow.

I keep my slabs in Lighthouse slab pages so I can flip thru and view them if I want. My raw coins are placed in Coin World Premier slabs for consistent display. But when I really want to see my coins I just look at the pictures I've taken since they are much better than looking at the coin trying to find the right light and having to use a loupe. And frankly, I can view them anytime, anywhere I want this way. I don't have to hold them to know I own them. Plus, I can accent the 7070 as I see fit by adding varieties(Seated Liberty with arrows but also arrows&rays) and commemorative 50c and $1 in both both classic and moderns. Again, I will know my 7070 album would be complete but this way I display it the way I want it, not a factory version.

So, in a nutshell, do whatever you want.

I'm still working on mine but they are mostly slabbed and will stay that way. I like to see progress so I have chosen grades I can afford. When complete I will then begin the upgrade process and having already slabbed coins will make it easier to sell the existing lower grades, especially online.

My current collecting criteria is MS or PF for 20th century, XF40 or higher for 1850s-1900 and F12 or better for 1796-1850. While initially some of my coins won't meet the criteria all future purchases do. Part of that is regretful buys from years ago or haste to fill it fast without enough forethought. All my coins will be problem free and that is a criteria I won't waver on.

Since my collection includes gold this is the best way for me to afford it. If I sold my gold I could easily have it complete tomorrow.

I keep my slabs in Lighthouse slab pages so I can flip thru and view them if I want. My raw coins are placed in Coin World Premier slabs for consistent display. But when I really want to see my coins I just look at the pictures I've taken since they are much better than looking at the coin trying to find the right light and having to use a loupe. And frankly, I can view them anytime, anywhere I want this way. I don't have to hold them to know I own them. Plus, I can accent the 7070 as I see fit by adding varieties(Seated Liberty with arrows but also arrows&rays) and commemorative 50c and $1 in both both classic and moderns. Again, I will know my 7070 album would be complete but this way I display it the way I want it, not a factory version.

So, in a nutshell, do whatever you want.

Are you doing an online registry for your stabbed 7070? If so, post a link. Mine is in my signature below. :)

I once saw a fellow collector's two 7070 sets in progress - one of low-ball coins... and the other of holed coins...

Seems easy at first but its actually more challenging then you think. He decided to do these after he had put together and sold off several "normal" 7070 sets.

He told me these two are by far more difficult to find coins for.

I always thought a holed set would be fun I just havent gotten around to it....

I personally chose the Intercept Shield type set album. It has more updated coins in there. I do hear that they are doing an update to the 7070. Does anyone know when or if that will happen?

I had a great time, years ago, doing the 7070. I actually started down grading it after it was finished. Many of the coins needed to be in some type of a better holder. It was fun.

I personally chose the Intercept Shield type set album. It has more updated coins in there. I do hear that they are doing an update to the 7070. Does anyone know when or if that will happen?

I know pretty well a major distributor of Dansco albums, and he's basically resigned to that never happening.