• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally Got My Mint State Large Cent!!! Pictures Inside!

6 posts in this topic

I've wanted this coin since the summer, but nice MS large cents below MS64 (or usually MS65) are very hard to come by--I wanted a glossy one with no problems, and some lustre, as well. Mark Feld searched quite a few shows (or so he says :P) before he found this one, which he purchased so I could get a better look. It's found a new home, and proved that patience is virtue (online and at shows, I've looked at well over a hundred of this type, none of which were "good enough") smile.gif

The coin has some red on the obverse, and is a solid RB on the reverse. I shot the obverse a few times to show all the red, since the slab's a bit hit, making my preferred angle impossible to use and get a quality picture.

NGC MS62BN

ngc302344-004_obv1_sm.jpg

ngc302344-004_obv2_sm.jpg

ngc302344-004_obv3_sm.jpg

ngc302344-004_rev_sm.jpg

So major thanks go out to Mark for finding this one for me. Also, thanks to JadeRareCoin and BigD5 who were also on the prowl. All three are very good guys smile.gif

Jeremy

I like it...nice looking large cent....and I agree you just don't see that grade very often especially with that much red on a BN designation.......I am happy you were able to grab something you've been searching for yay.gif

Jeremy,

Congrats! You're right; most of these coins are just plain nasty, even in MS 64. It looks like lines on the image at the top of the obverse are on the holder. If the upper half of the obverse looked like the lower half, this coin would be designated RB. Unc. BN copper that has glossy cartwheel luster is beautiful.

Your coin is also well struck. Most of these minted in the 1850s have striking problems. Typically sharp centers, weak rims. This coin has nearly full radials on the stars, complete denticles and no rim problems. It also has no spotting.

The gash along the jaw explains the grade. Still, it's only one item. Also, this coin can hold its own against any other of the same grade.

And, Mark Feld KNOWS his copper.