• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

good atlanta show report recap and coins!!

8 posts in this topic

Making the Grade – Issue #2

The Atlanta Spring ANA Show Recap

I can never remember the official names of the ANA Shows. They are something like:” The World’s Fair of Money”, or” The Money Show”, or” Money in Your Pocket”, or “Change for a Dollar”, or “Wheel of Money” or some such phrase. I am certain that they were chosen either by a committee at the ANA, or perhaps by some high-priced consultant.

By saying this I am probably antagonizing those responsible for the ANA show names, but unless they are gonna buy some coins from DaveWcoins.com, I don’t much care. Er, if they DO start buying from me though, I will revise this newsletter accordingly to glorify their incredible show naming brilliance.

In any case, I and many others refer to these shows as “The Spring ANA” and “The Summer ANA”. That seems to get the job done.

Well, that’s all the time we have. Hope you enjoyed this detailed show analysis. Good night, and good coins.

Hmm. Perhaps I should also say a few words about how the show went, for those of you who weren’t able to attend.

The Straight Scoop on the ANA Spring Show

The straight scoop on the show is… it was a bit sleepy.

I found the show activity quite understated. This is typical of the Early Spring ANA shows, since they are “one-off” shows, where the retail public in each locale has not attended in that location in the past.

However, I found that dealer-to-dealer show activity to be steady, with numerous transactions at current levels. Some major auctions during the prior 60 days or so brought fresh material to a market that was starved for it. Surprisingly, I saw very little of that recently material for sale on the floor. This tells me that most of it already resides in collections.

The announcement of the Saddle Ridge Hoard of US gold coins brought out a large contingent of the general public, and this added lots of excitement to the show. I feel the impact of that hoard will be very positive for the coin market in the coming months, and that it will create a number of brand new collectors.

Worldwide News Highlight – The Saddle Ridge Hoard of Gold Coins Announced and Displayed at ANA

Speaking of which, it isn’t often that a story in this little hobby of ours becomes worldwide news. The discovery of 1400+ US gold coins in a group of rusted out cans in Northern California did just that.

Who hasn't dreamed of finding a hoard of gold coins? You don't have to be a coin collector to have such fantasies. Here is that very fantasy come to life!

I saw the coins on display. The handful of coins that were shown there were definitely the cream of the crop of that hoard – the top 2% or so of what was found.

But Oo La La ... what beautiful coins! Fresh luster popped off those coins. Yes, the color was a bit lighter than I would like (due to whatever conservation process was involved to get the crud and dirt off). But I personally will take that trade-off, as the coins were so cool looking. I’m a luster guy, and those coins sure had it. Luster by the bucketful. Oh – one of the nine or so tin cans that contained those gold coins was also on display. Neat-o.

There was a group of people huddled around that small display every time I looked that way, for the entire duration of the show. I myself wandered over there three or four times to look. This is something that just doesn't happen very often in the coin hobby.

More News from Wnuck-Land

You folks are the first to know – I am now officially a member of the “PCGS Board of Experts”. Here is a link to it, if you care to look (it is alphabetical, so you'll have to scroll down to near the bottom):

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Experts.aspx

To answer the question you most likely have after viewing my listing … yes, that really is the most flattering photo I could find. The others were even worse. As the old joke goes - I have a face for radio.

I look forward to adding my two bits to the knowledge base that is already there on Coinfacts.com I am a big fan of what PCGS is doing on that website. If you are a serious numismatist, it is the best $100 or so you will spend this year in numismatics. And no – they didn't pay me anything to say that.

Now On to the NEWP's

As in my previous newsletter – these coins are all items that I have gathered up over the last week or two. To quote my wife's Irish aunt, these coins are, “as fresh as paint”. [That phrase makes a lot more sense when you hear it with an Irish accent, by the way].

My website is still a work in progress. But the list below are fresh arrivals that will only make it to my website if/when I master the website coin photography & inventory uploading process. In the meantime, readers of this newsletter will be the very first to eyeball these offerings.

The “Making the Grade” Featured Coin:

In each newsletter I pick out one coin to highlight. It doesn't have to be expensive; it just has to be interesting. Here is the pick of this newsletter:

1723 Hibernia Farthing. Struck in Silver. PCGS Specimen-64 CAC

Colonial coins struck in silver are unusual and special. Specimen coins from the early 1700's are even more treasured. The coin is as flashy as one could hope for in a nearly 300 year old coin – lightly mirrored surfaces with golden silvery toning on the obverse. The reverse has a splash of subtle pastel rainbow toning in the center. Colonial coins sometimes get a bad rap for are not being pleasing to the eye. Here is an important exception to that unfair generalization. The PCGS Price guide lists this coin at $17,250. I can't really argue against that valuation, as there have been auction records over the years for around that level. Due to a fortunate purchase at the Atlanta show though, this coin is offered to you at just $12,950 (professional photograph available on request).

NEWPS Too New for Photos

In this section I will list some of the coins I have picked up, along with brief descriptions. Since my coin photography skills are currently somewhere between infantile and childlike, expect an iPhone photo or scan if you want to see more, unless I indicate that I have a decent image of it. All coins are subject to prior sale, and the prices include shipping. Seven day return for any reason.

1795 Half Cent. PCGS F-12 CAC [Green Label].

Cohen-2a.This is a “Punctuated Date” Redbook type, though it is not indicated on the PCGS tag; in the early days of slabbing, PCGS did not designate this major variety on the slab. These days it is known as the scarcest of the three Redbook types of this date. Not only that, but this is the extremely rare die state, with no bulge at the face. The coin is an even light chocolate brown on the obverse; the reverse is variegated between caramel and milk chocolate brown. $3575.

1828 Half Cent. PCGS MS63 BN

13 Stars. Great cartwheel and a terrific look, with even brown coloration. $895.

1818 Matron Head large Cent. PCGS MS64 BN CAC

About 20% mint red remains on this deeply lustrous, attractive type coin. $1675.

1818 Matron Head Large Cent. PCGS MS62 CAC

Here is a second example of this date, in a lower grade, but with red & brown in color. There is a significant amount of mint red on the obverse, while the reverse has mellowed to a lustrous light tan. $775.

1909-S Lincoln Cent. PCGS MS64 BN CAC [Rattler]

This date has long lived in the shadow of it's more famous brother – the 1909-S VDB, but it is a key date in it's own right. Fully lustrous, with about 20% original mint red remaining. Likely to stay this pretty as well, since it has been housed in this same slab for over 25 years. $485

1874 3c Nickel. PCGS PR64 CAC [OGH]

A less frequently seen date. Free of spots,and housed in this slab for approximately 20 years. $485.

1882 Shield Nickel. PCGS MS64 CAC [OGH]

Silvery in color, with strong cartwheel luster, and also housed in this same slab for 20 years. $395

1912 Liberty Nickel. PCGS MS65 CAC

Some light golden color adds character to this lustrous, well struck Liberty nickel. $595.

1805 Draped Bust Dime. PCGS XF40

A special coin, with concentric vibrant toning on both sides. Not inexpensive, but you just don't find early silver type with a knockout look like this very often (see attached photo). $5500.

1833 Bust Dime. PCGS AU55 CAC.

Beautiful peripheral blue, gold and green toning over lustrous surfaces. (professional photo available). $975.

1945-S Mercury Dime. PCGS MS67 CAC

I just had to buy this coin. A knock-out through and through. (see the attached photo). $595.

1864 Seated Quarter. PCGS MS62 CAC

A really tough Civil War date, and one in which CAC has saw fit to verify only 5 coins in all grades of uncirculated (professional photos available). $1750.

1805 Draped Bust Half Dollar. PCGS VF30

O-111, rarity-2. Attractive and crusty original light gold toning with a hint of blue . Lots of detail and character for the grade. $1575.

1805 Draped Bust Half Dollar. PCGS VF30

O-104, rarity-5. The same date and grade as the previous coin, but a different and much scarcer die variety. Not as attractive in appearance though, with dusky gray and deep brown toning. Not unattractive though, and priced a little lower than my other VF30. $1450.

1807 Draped Bust Half Dollar. PCGS VG8

Splashes of blue-green peripheral toning jazz up this lightly golden toned specimen. $795.

1808/7 Bust Half Dollar. PCGS XF40 CAC

O-101, rarity-1. The only overdate variety of this date, and attractively toned in gold and gray, with significant cartwheel luster seen in the peripheries. $1375.

1821 Bust Half Dollar. PCGS XF40 CAC

O-106, rarity-1. Light gray, crusty toning with a little bit of luster peeking through under the toning. $365.

1937 Walking Liberty Half Dollar. PCGS MS65 CAC [Rattler]

A 100% untoned coin that would easily look at home in a current slab that was one or two grades higher. $285.

1942 Walking Liberty half Dollar. PCGS PR67 CAC

Hard to believe you can purchase a nearly perfect, 100% white proof type coin such as this for less than a grand. $965.

1880-S Morgan Dollar. PCGS MS67 CAC [OGH]

A pristine stunner that is pure white, save for a vibrant crescent of rainbow toning at the reverse periphery. Housed in a circa 1990 early PCGS green label holder. $1150.

1904 Morgan Dollar. PCGS MS63

A typical Morgan date, but with atypical toning. Brilliant rings of color on both sides. (see attached photo). $595.

1847 No Motto $5 Liberty. PCGS AU58 CAC

This coin is remarkable for being proof-like on both sides, though PCGS does not designate classic gold as such. Quite remarkable, and a good looking coin as well. (See attached photo). $1275.

Instead of having "official names", call them what they are -- "The Atlanta ANA Show". Keeping the venue in the name helps us all recall exactly what show it was! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out!