• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seeking the crown jewel of coins... posted by #

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

...of my collection anyway.

Many here know of and have helped me reach many collecting goals. Some with leads to where I might find coins I'm looking for, some buying coins from me to help finance purchases, others with much needed computer skills and talents given out of the goodness of their hearts. Many, many with just plain old moral support and encouragement. I've never been able to meet with any despite attending several major shows. These CS members are truly priceless. A person with extremely deep pockets couldn't buy or hire a consultant any better than what I've received here and I'm very appreciative. One last true cry for help is the final coin needed to complete my 1879 mint set; my crown jewel. The 1879-O $20 piece is very elusive and extremely expensive. With that being said I need one of the 3-4 that might be just double of what I can afford; a G or F preferably details. I've told Stacks Bowers, Legend-Morphy and two trusted dealers I have dealt with for years. Now I'm reaching out to anyone and everyone to be on the look out for me. I've already started the 1879 proof set but should have waited until I finished the mint set but I really wanted a Eric P Newman piece for my non registry set of famous pedigreed coins. The ML Moser Morgan set will be up for auction next month and I will most definitely get on of those for my pedigree set as I was lucky enough to sit next to him at a NGC luncheon a few years ago and after searching the bourse to no avail he told me his friend had the exact coin I was looking. I bought it at lunch exchanging cash for the coin over MLM's lunch plate. It was my 1890-CC GSA that I searched high and low. Again, the CS members are nothing short of outstanding! Thanks in advance for y'all's time, efforts in helping with this near impossible acquisition.

See more journals by #

I met ML Moser at the 2011 ANA show in Chicago. That was the show he had his entire collection of Morgan Dollars on display. He seemed especially pleased with his star MS-68+ 1881-S Morgan. I left the show that year with a signed copy of his display brochure and thrilled to have met the person who put together the best NGC set of Morgan Dollars. It's with a little bit of sadness now that his wonderful set will be busted up. At least as long as each of those coins are in an NGC holder they will always bear the ML Moser pedigree!

Gary

Gary,

The ANA show in Chicago on 1/08/11 is the same place I was referring to; I ran into Mark twice later on the bourse and he stopped and not only showed me two new acquisition but allowed me to examine and hold them; he was very proud of his two new finds. Oddly enough there was no bragging or showing off; he just wanted to share the experience, the essence of grace. Both were Eliasbergs, a 1887-S MS-67 (pic below) and a 1888-O MS-67. I was surprised he let me hold them because I was shaking like a leaf. For me that was a once in a life time experience. As I mentioned above I have an odd set of coins that are made up of just famous pedigreed coins and I will be adding one of his to my set next month even it I have to wait on my 79-O $20 double eagle. He was/is one of the most down to earth, kind person I've met in numismatics. I will miss his sets especially since they were assemble by an individual not a company or dealer; those sets are meaningless to me. They might as well have a measuring contest, least I could compete in that lol!

145510.jpg.bdb9ed395b29fd895f6093dc1e61822d.jpg