• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fed-Ex or USPS?

34 posts in this topic

lol... I have two adult sons that work for FedEx and one of them was reading over my shoulder while I was reading this thread. For what it's worth, here are his thoughts:

1) In both cases (FedEx and USPS) the insurance is determined by the valuation of what is being shipped. Most of the problems that happen with shipping has to do with the tendency for people to not declare the actual value of the item being shipped, leaving it under insured against loss or damage.

I think your son must have missed a few answers on his application exam then. I quote from Fed-Ex web site itself:

"WE DO NOT PROVIDE INSURANCE COVERAGE OF ANY KIND."

"Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of US$1,000:"

"Collector's items such as coins, stamps, sports cards, souvenirs and memorabilia."

So if I send a coin to someone that cost $4,500.00 then your son says that I am covered 'above' $1,000.00 just as long as I declare $4,500.00?

Well no that can't be accurate either since Fed-Ex also says this:

"ANY EFFORT TO DECLARE A VALUE IN EXCESS OF THE MAXIMUMS ALLOWED IN THE FEDEX SERVICE GUIDE IS NULL AND VOID. OUR ACCEPTANCE FOR CARRIAGE OF ANY SHIPMENT BEARING A DECLARED VALUE IN EXCESS OF THE ALLOWED MAXIMUMS DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A WAIVER OF ANY PROVISION OF THE FEDEX SERVICE GUIDE AS TO SUCH SHIPMENT."

I am not using the cap's either - Fed-Ex is on their website.

So, he was right about the insurance, but didn't mention the $1k cap... I don't think I can pitch him any grief over that since literally, he glanced the thread over my shoulder while waiting to talk to me about something else....

It probably wouldn't occur to him to mention a one thousand dollar limit anyway.... He's not a coin enthusiast and thinks we are all nuts for paying anything over face value for any coin with the possible exception of gold coins.

He's not a coin enthusiast and thinks we are all nuts for paying anything over face value for any coin with the possible exception of gold coins.

Dwight .... He may be right on that one! :signfunny:

It seems there is another thread that was started a couple of days after I received my package and all was said and done, that the USPS is being taken to task. lol

I just sent two USPS Priority Mail Express packages to California Saturday, that are supposed to arrive by Monday .... We will see. :taptaptap:

Thankfully I fared better and my packages made it on time and in one piece so USPS is still batting 1000 with me. (thumbs u