• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964 Accent Hair Kennedy Die Scratch?

11 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm not new to coin collecting but am to forum discussion. I have an NGC graded 1964 Accent Hair Kennedy Half PF 67 with what appears to be possibly a die scratch (?) on the obverse above the B in Liberty. It's a raised metal line that extends from the rim across the top of the B moving beyond its upper curve. Does anyone know anything about this? I spent many hours online last night and looking through books searching for information but found none regarding this error or variety. Without knowing its value or rarity, I decided to list it on ebay this morning with a high BIN/Make an offer but realized that wasn't a very good idea after 4+ hours passed with several views of the coin and still no public ebay listing.

I can't seem to insert a photo but here is the link to the NGC image: http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/index.aspx?CertNumber=3782186-010

The line is barely visible in their enlarged image.

Could be a die scratch, a die polish mark or a die break. These thinks just happen. After all, a Mint is a factory that makes stamped metal parts. As long as the size, weight and fineness are within tolerances, the coins are OK.

Unfortunately, these die flaws typically do not bring any kind of a premium, unless massive and easily seen.

to me it almost looks like a strike through. I see these a lot in the sms series but without closer pictures it would be impossible to tell. As for price I have to agree with no value added.

Could be a die scratch, a die polish mark or a die break. These thinks just happen. After all, a Mint is a factory that makes stamped metal parts. As long as the size, weight and fineness are within tolerances, the coins are OK.

Unfortunately, these die flaws typically do not bring any kind of a premium, unless massive and easily seen.

I'm thinking the same. Nice coin but the flaw is not going to bring a premium.

It's like, Oh, I also found an imperfection on this accented hair Kennedy. Nice conversation but only a very, very slight premium to a savvy Kennedy collector.

Find another one and you might have found yet another 'marker' to help identify the Accented Hair variety, who knows?

I am a collector of VAM varieties in Morgan and Peace dollars. In these series there are 10 to 100 varities based on die doubling, clashed dies and such for each date and mint mark. There is a very large set of collectors for these. Most of the varieties do not bring a premium, only the most visible to the eye and usually with unusual addition features. Mostly the only varieties in modern coins that bring a premium are listed in the Cherry Picker guides, which is basically the NGC Variety Plus lists.

It's like, Oh, I also found an imperfection on this accented hair Kennedy. Nice conversation but only a very, very slight premium to a savvy Kennedy collector.

Find another one and you might have found yet another 'marker' to help identify the Accented Hair variety, who knows?

I don't understand this response. Is it sarcasm? I don't collect error coins but will probably hold onto this one until I know more about it. For the past several years I've been slowly going through the combination of my dad's and my collection, selling more common coins to buy mostly Bust and Flowing Hair dollars so that my eventual heirs won't have to wonder what they have or be overwhelmed with volume. I most enjoy raw coins but since my trusted dealer passed a couple of years ago I've slowly acclimated to the idea of buying them entombed and of having some I already own slabbed. Organizing the collection is an even more daunting task with the recent realization that twentieth century silver locked away for many decades in rolls for the silver content will need to be taken out and examined for errors/variety. I'm just now getting around to ordering books on Morgan varieties. I do enjoy many types of coins, mostly pre-1890, but this modern variety thing is going to take much more time than I want to spend on it.

I am a collector of VAM varieties in Morgan and Peace dollars. In these series there are 10 to 100 varities based on die doubling, clashed dies and such for each date and mint mark. There is a very large set of collectors for these. Most of the varieties do not bring a premium, only the most visible to the eye and usually with unusual addition features. Mostly the only varieties in modern coins that bring a premium are listed in the Cherry Picker guides, which is basically the NGC Variety Plus lists.

I like the Morgans, too. Especially the 1878 8TF which has been a favorite since I was a kid. It wasn't that long ago that I was still buying them raw for comparatively little over the silver. As I wrote in the previous post, I'm just now ordering books on Morgan varieties. I love the coins and the history, but not so certain that I'll ever get into collecting by variety. Thanks for the Cherry Picker guides tip. Guess I'll need to purchase those, too.