• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Years Day

1 post in this topic

The Good, the Bad and the YUCK!

On New Years Day, my wife, sister and I went down to D.C. and visited the Smithsonian Museum of American History. That is the Good. I got to visit my coin collection. (As a tax payer, I consider myself 1/380,000,000 owner of the collection. lol) I always love going down to visit the National Numismatic Collection and I will love it even more in 2015 when the expansion is complete. I was telling my sister about some of the histories behind the coins; the 1933 Double Eagle and its clandestine journey, Theodore Roosevelt and Augustus St. Gaudens orchestrating the coin renaissance of the early 20th century. I was like a kid in a candy store.

The bad. Across the national mall from the American History Museum is what is known as The Castle. There, they had on display another smaller part of the collection, including the 1913 Liberty Nickel. The bad part is that these coins were now packed away. (The new display was fascinating and worth the visit, but not numismatic related)

The YUCK. Before heading home, we stopped to eat at a food truck. I ordered a burger. After sitting down to eat, I took a couple of bites only to discover that the inside was raw. Not under cooked, raw. lol I took it back and got a better cooked one, so life ended up ok and I did not get sick.

Overall, a great way to spend the day. If you live in the area or are visiting the area, the Smithsonian Museum system is a fantastic way to spend the day. If you have some time, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing offers a 1st class tour, which if I remember correctly, is free of charge. I plan to head back up to Philadelphia this spring to give the Mint another chance. We went about 6 years ago and were highly disappointed.

Happy collecting!

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins