• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New 1885-O Rainbow Textile Morgan (Story and Pictures included!)

11 posts in this topic

Usually I just post pictures... but this time, there's a real story! smile.gif

I decided a while back that I wanted to put together a morgan tone-type set... one of the more expensive types is textile toning. At the same time, I realized that I had a few 1885-Os already, and I wanted to try to put together the set of only 1885-Os. Long story short, I found some other neat dates, and the 1885-O fell by the wayside, but heck, I don't mind picking them up when they're pretty.

So, as I've been looking for a nice textile morgan, I've found them either way out of my range, or I haven't found them. Then this one showed up on DLRC--the image showed the color as rather flat, and I wasn't sure there was textile there, I might have been "seeing" it... I pondered it a few days and then decided I was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person to not buy it--there's a return privilege and I could really score. So I bought it.

A few days later, this morgan showed up. My first reaction was "HUH?!" This is not the bag-toned dollar I bought. But I saw the coin, and decided I liked it. When I got home, I emailed DLRC, they said the images had been switched, and I got the right coin, although to me, it wasn't the right coin. Oh, well. It looked a lot better than their images, and it was pretty, so it stayed with me. I then got the coin below for a discount on their list price, albeit it was more than I originally thought it would cost.

When it came, I decided I had won. Not only did I get the neat end-roller, but I also got a very colorful bag-toned dollar... with LOTS of textile (in fact, a bit more that's faint and can't be seen in the picture). Without further adieu (except the week I've waited to photograph/post the coin since it arrived), the newest member of my collection:

NGC MS63

ngc1660949-012_lustre_obv1_sm.jpg

ngc1660949-012_lustre_obv2_sm.jpg

ngc1660949-012_tone_obv_sm.jpg

ngc1660949-012_rev_sm.jpg

Enjoy,

Jeremy yay.gif

Ok.....you lost me there just slightly, so you now have this coin with the textile toning and the coin in the other thread that's an end roller...............ok I think I have it straight now.

Let's see nothing left to say here, but that's one purdy Morgan............the textile pattern can clearly be seen on all three pictures takeit.gif

Hey Jeremy. How about a quick lesson in textile toning. I'm assuming textile refers to the the bag the coin was kept in? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Even though I have never been a Morgan fan (I think the chick on the obverse looks a bit too manly), that is a very attractive coin.

I got lost a little on this thread also. I do not know why Jeremy is collecting '85-O's? Usually they are pretty flat strikes and dull, as Morgans go. Nice coins though, for 85-O's.

How about a quick lesson in textile toning. I'm assuming textile refers to the the bag the coin was kept in?
Textile toning refers to the dots/squares that are from the woven bag. Notice especially near the 3 stars to the left of the date the yellow dots--that's the textile pattern. If the dots weren't present, this would just be considered a regular bag-toned dollar.

I got lost a little on this thread also. I do not know why Jeremy is collecting '85-O's? Usually they are pretty flat strikes and dull, as Morgans go. Nice coins though, for 85-O's.
Basically, when I decided I wanted to do a toning type set, I realized all the coins I had were 1885-Os. The come with lots of color, which is why I like them. My sig line is an 85-O, and I think I have 1 or 2 other than the sig line and the 2 mentioned in the thread. I've also got a few other dates with color (81-S, 82-S, 83-O, 86, 87 are the ones I can think of off the top of my head).

Jeremy

You know what I am finding Jeremy........

There are a lot of 1885-P's with pretty toning. I purchased a real beauty from BigD5 and then I ended up winning what looked like it's twin for next to nothing on Ebay???? I won't know for sure until I get it in hand, but from what I could make out in the picture they both exhibit a nice even orange toning across the entire obverse with other colors around the rim.

thumbsup2.gif

85-Ps are also good for color. Date is now secondary, although I did make it a goal of mine to, at some point, get the 85-O with textile, since it's usually hard to find and expensive. In my opinion, I ripped this coin smile.gif (granted I still paid multiples of sheet makepoint.gif)

Jeremy

Yes, I haven't looked at a sheet for any of my Morgan purchases I simply paid what I felt was a fair price for each and did not give the actually sheet price any consideration at all. I like the coins, they all of character and considering none of them are above MS64 so far....I feel I am putting together a set that I can be proud of. 893applaud-thumb.gif