• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I need a bigger safe!

3 posts in this topic

Value is relative.

It has been a busy couple of months of trading. But I am getting closer to my ultimate goals of a complete Morgan MS set and a complete American Eagle (MS and PF) set. I have started a couple of minor sets as well (Peace, Anthony and Sacagawea dollars) but this is so I can use the American dollar in discussions with my children about the history of our country.

Money and it's value has always been an interest of mine. But over the years, I got lost in the utility of money and not the collecting of the 'Art of Money.' Each coin is a small piece of art as well as joining of industries (mining, manufacturing, distribution and banking). Holding a chunk of silver in your hand while discussing how the coin was obtained, from whom and for how much is pretty boring. But discussing what happened the year it was minted and the years following can be very interesting. Who was President, were we at war, was there a depression, or 'why were the 1895 Morgan dollars melted down?' can draw people into a discussion that goes beyond politics, religion and finances.

I re-started late and I am having fun and hope to have this fun for many years to come while building something for my kids to enjoy after I am gone.

Happy New Year.

See more journals by Dsrtknght