• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A recent commemorative acquisition

17 posts in this topic

I saw this Lexington-Concord half in a local coin shop and simply could not pass it by. Rarely have I seen one with such excellent surfaces, beaming lustre and incredible toning. Indeed, most of this issue are either boring or ugly. shocked.giflaugh.gif

For now, I'll let you guess the grade, noting that there are a couple of small dings to the left of the belfry on the reverse.

By the way, this is one of the best classic commems for the sake of commemoration. The design was considered ugly by many at the time (e.g. James E. Fraser), but historically significant.

Hoot

589a8ab33a3f1_103868-1925Lexington-Concord50cMS65PCGSobv.jpg.b9552d20be1e650d1cb25ee17f8b4d29.jpg

Looks good, but I'd say MS64 because the image seems to indicate a luster insufficient for full gem status.

The coin looks really nice though! I love that fresh, original look. Is it for sale?

EVP

Unfortunately, EVP, lustre is what suffers the most in my scans. This coin is definitely above average lustre for this issue. In person, it simply sparkles. The scanner did a nice job this time, however, with the colors and textures. (It seems to do better with larger coins than smaller ones - why, I don't know, but my nickel scans usually suck.)

blush.gif Not for sale at this time. blush.gif

smile.gif Hoot

It's just so hard to see any marks or wear with toning from pictures. So I'm going to guess a grade of MS65. It's probably off, but that's the best I could come up with.

Alas! Thanks for the guesses! smile.gif All of you are in the ballpark and all for good reasons. If not for a couple of dings on the reverse, which are difficult to see in the scan, this coin would grade MS66. It is, however, limited to MS65, so Banknote1 and PQseated guessed correctly. I can see arguments for anything guessed, however, from MS63 to MS66, depending how literally one interprets the scan. The scan, as I think I mentioned, does show the detail of the devices and the color of the coin very well. Fields are subdued for lustre and do not reflect the detail necessary to pick up the dings easily.

All that said, I am simply pleased as heck over the coin! It is a genuine and original piece, with a rarity of showy lustre and color, especially for this issue. All of you know how tough those qualities are to come by, and to have encountered a classic commem that has not been dipped makes it all-the-more difficult.

I just don't get why sterling white commems are so attractive. One of mine is, an MS66 Stone Mountain. Although it's a beautiful coin with unreal lustre and flawless surfaces, it is my least favorite. However, I must say that it was also the ugliest slabbed coin I ever bought. It was graded MS66 in a recent NGC slab. It had toning that looked like splattered grease, front and back. I looked at the coin carefully before paying 20% below greysheet bid. I sent the coin through NCS. They refused the grade guarantee! laugh.giflaugh.gif I said I couldn't stand the black mottled toning (they agreed) and I knew the underlying coin was good to go, so I had the toning removed. shocked.gif Glad I did on that coin, but it is a rare exception.

Hoot

I just don't get why sterling white commems are so attractive. One of mine is, an MS66 Stone Mountain. Although it's a beautiful coin with unreal lustre and flawless surfaces, it is my least favorite.

You're singing my song here, Hoot. That's the way I have come to feel about commemoratives in general.

I very much like this example of the Lexington you've found. And I also agree with you that it is a design that lacks appeal. But, that is certainly the type of coin I would want in my collection. Good find. And I would have guessed 65, but that's really easy of me to say now that you have disclosed the grade already, isn't it? Nice, nice coin.

Clankeye

I love that Lexington Hoot! It's one of my favorite issues. Not pretty, design wise, but I like it anyway.

Your toning is exactly how I like my Commem's. Maybe a little more color, but that's not a complaint with your coin. VERY NICE!

:)

You have hit on a hot button of coin grading. I think some dealers have created a demand for "new" untoned (old) coins. My own feelings run contrary to this, in that I believe an old coin should show the patina of it's age. Coins that are toned seem, to me anyhow, as more accurate representations of their age and series. However, it seems that a large segment of the hobby does not feel this way.