• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1870 Wide O 10 Cent with funny N

8 posts in this topic

Hi all

check this one out not sure if it is recut or what but something going on with the N in CENTS

It looks about the size of the N used on the 5 cents coins ?

koin010_zps69f81c03.jpg

koin1870n_zps66da55e3.jpg

koin1870_zps158c1a56.jpg

It looks like mechanical doubling, but that doesn't seem to make sense to me. From what I understand, that phenomenon should be more pronounced farther from the original center of the strike, and this is dead in the middle, which if that were far from the original center, you'd have a very obvious error coin. In those days, did they cut the letters into the die with a punch, like dates? If so, your theory about the half dime-sized-punch being mistakenly used the first time sounds quite plausible. Interesting coin.

It looks like mechanical doubling, but that doesn't seem to make sense to me. From what I understand, that phenomenon should be more pronounced farther from the original center of the strike, and this is dead in the middle, which if that were far from the original center, you'd have a very obvious error coin. In those days, did they cut the letters into the die with a punch, like dates? If so, your theory about the half dime-sized-punch being mistakenly used the first time sounds quite plausible. Interesting coin.

Yes it is a strange one put it on my web store now so hope a Canadian collector gets it

It's definitely not mechanical doubling. It is clearly repunched but the question is are both punches the same punch? The first punch does look a little smaller but since the edges of the punches are beveled, a light punching will appear smaller. I think most likely both punches are from the same punch.