• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1960 Lincoln Proof- NT or AT?

37 posts in this topic

Here are a few more images of the coin. I hope this helps. This has been fun and educational. I sure do appreciate all of the feedback so far everyone!

This image here is straight on from the top, with no tilt or anything to bring out the color in the coin.

1960LincolnObv3_zpsebb10df4.jpg

I diffused the light in this shot.

1960LincolnObv-DiffLght_zps53c51713.jpg

I'm not sure if this image is much different than the one on the first page, although the coin is rotated and tilted, it still shows the most of the same colors.

1960LincolnRev3_zps5320e48d.jpg

This is the reverse with no tilt, shot from straight on.

1960LincolnRev4_zps803a8e7d.jpg

Am I the only person who thinks that it looks like some sort of liquid was spilled on the obverse of the coin? The spotting looks too odd and unnatural to these eyes. The reverse doesn't look very natural to me either.

Ive seen that type of toning before coinman. When you put a proof coin in a 2X2, it can become toned like that. It does look like some liquid was spilled on it, but i assure that thats not the case.....

I've seen that type of toning from capital holders before. Although natural I personally feel it's unattractive. Unless you call album toning AT them you have to consider this NT even if you don't like the pattern. Whether or not the tpgs would call this AT is another story altogether.

I've never seen or heard of capitol holders causing toning before. Do you have more examples to post, or a thread where it is discussed? Not saying I don't believe you, just saying I'm not familiar with it.

There are many types and versions of Capital Plastics holders and some very definitely do cause toning. I collect Jefferson nickels and there are versions with white or black cardboard inserts (especially in the war nickel sets) that are caused by the cardboard.

The 3 layered plastic holders also will cause toning to varying degrees - the translucent colored middle layer (I have seen many colors-> blue, green, orange, red, yellow) more than the solid black or white.

Coins base metal also is involved.

The Capital Plastic holders are no where near airtight, nor do they claim to be.

I'm not doubting those of you saying that Capitol Plastics holders can tone coins, but I am curious as to the underlying chemistry. Why is this the case? Does anyone know chemically why these holders would impart toning? I understand that they are not airtight, but that alone is not enough to explain the toning. What in the holder is causing the chemical change and the characteristic pattern that is alluded to in this thread?

Am I the only person who thinks that it looks like some sort of liquid was spilled on the obverse of the coin? The spotting looks too odd and unnatural to these eyes. The reverse doesn't look very natural to me either.

You are not the only person. The new pictures make it look even more unnatural to me. While I can't be sure, of course, let's just say it is not acceptable to me and I wouldn't buy it.