• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Laura Sperbers thought's on the ANA Board Meetings...

46 posts in this topic

I find Coin Week to be the second most interesting coin site. Greg Reynolds does a weekly column that is almost always a good read - as are Diug Winter's articles.

In my experience which may not be complete, at least Doug takes the time to correct his typos. Tell me Bruce, do I really want to spend $100K with your firm if the boss can't blog error free? Well, no I don't even if I had $100K to spend, it would be with Doug simply because of the crisp writing that demonstrates his professionalism. In my field, such typos would close me down, I'd be on the street. Imagine how much more money you might make if Laura or her staff cleaned up her writing? Just saying' (shrug) . Small things like that do matter. But at least you must have some that don't mind typos - I just hope that does not transfer over to errors in grading, valuation, etc.....

Best, HT

I find Coin Week to be the second most interesting coin site. Greg Reynolds does a weekly column that is almost always a good read - as are Diug Winter's articles.

In my experience which may not be complete, at least Doug takes the time to correct his typos. Tell me Bruce, do I really want to spend $100K with your firm if the boss can't blog error free? Well, no I don't even if I had $100K to spend, it would be with Doug simply because of the crisp writing that demonstrates his professionalism. In my field, such typos would close me down, I'd be on the street. Imagine how much more money you might make if Laura or her staff cleaned up her writing? Just saying' (shrug) . Small things like that do matter. But at least you must have some that don't mind typos - I just hope that does not transfer over to errors in grading, valuation, etc.....

Best, HT

So, for example, if Doug and Laura each had the same type, date and grade of coin and you liked them equally, but Laura's was 10% less, you'd buy Doug's, due to his superior spelling and grammar?

I appreciate good spelling and grammar, but would not base my coin-buying decisions on those considerations.

Best, HT

So, for example, if Doug and Laura each had the same type, date and grade of coin and you liked them equally, but Laura's was 10% less, you'd buy Doug's, due to his superior spelling and grammar?

I appreciate good spelling and grammar, but would not base my coin-buying decisions on those considerations.

Please clarify the hypothetical; is the basis of the question whether or not Mr. Doug and Mr. Laura are liked equally, or whether or not the same type of coin is liked equally? :baiting:

Using an example of the subject (grammar) in a hypothetical is brilliant. :banana:

You have effectively stopped me from being able to reply. You did this on purpose to me. :sumo::foryou:

Best, HT

Please clarify the hypothetical; is the basis of the question whether or not Mr. Doug and Mr. Laura are liked equally, or whether or not the same type of coin is liked equally? :baiting:

Using an example of the subject (grammar) in a hypothetical is brilliant. :banana:

You have effectively stopped me from being able to reply. You did this on purpose to me. :sumo::foryou:

John, I have never known you to lie. BUT, I am quite skeptical of your statement that I have effectively stopped you from being able to reply - I'm not buying it. :D

I have learned that extremely successful people don't really care...

If your measure of "extremely successful" is based on what? Your bank account balance? lol

A decent portion of my career revolves around peer-reviewed scientific writing. I consider myself to be quite successful, though working for a not-for-profit company with 50,000+ employees doesn't make me able to buy things like $10 million coins. Everything is relative, Mr. Morelan.

Laura may be one of the most successful coin dealers in the nation. However, this does not preclude her being an abject failure at effective communication and diplomacy on the ANA Board. My interpretation of the sloppiness of her writing was that it reflects poorly on her communication skills. I was offering constructive criticism to someone who "doesn't really care." But, as an elected member of the Board for an organization to which I (and thousands of others) belong, she needs to start caring.

Best, HT

John, I have never known you to lie. BUT, I am quite skeptical of your statement that I have effectively stopped you from being able to reply - I'm not buying it. :D

:blush: I thought, in a moment of weakness, that I could bamboozle you.

Silly attempt on my part. :cry:

I'll be back...... :sumo::foryou:

If your measure of "extremely successful" is based on what? Your bank account balance? lol

A decent portion of my career revolves around peer-reviewed scientific writing. I consider myself to be quite successful, though working for a not-for-profit company with 50,000+ employees doesn't make me able to buy things like $10 million coins. Everything is relative, Mr. Morelan.

Laura may be one of the most successful coin dealers in the nation. However, this does not preclude her being an abject failure at effective communication and diplomacy on the ANA Board. My interpretation of the sloppiness of her writing was that it reflects poorly on her communication skills. I was offering constructive criticism to someone who "doesn't really care." But, as an elected member of the Board for an organization to which I (and thousands of others) belong, she needs to start caring.

Not that it is important to the original discussion, but it is not very constructive or supportive to a position when a person uses discourteous remarks about the economic worth of another person as a reason to invalidate an opinion.

I would expect a peer reviewed scientific setting to demand that Rules of Grammar are carefully maintained. I don't expect the same level of scrutiny to be used by Board members of a Hobby Entity. After all, the Board of a Hobby Entity should be one of diversity to represent all members, not just the members that are grammatically gifted.

We all become emotionally engaged in these types of discussion. That is what adds to the interest. However, when we forget manners, and use intentionally discourteous statements toward another to enforce a position, nothing is gained. :foryou:

Congrats on your accomplishments.

Not that it is important to the original discussion, but it is not very constructive or supportive to a position when a person uses discourteous remarks about the economic worth of another person as a reason to invalidate an opinion.

I would expect a peer reviewed scientific setting to demand that Rules of Grammar are carefully maintained. I don't expect the same level of scrutiny to be used by Board members of a Hobby Entity. After all, the Board of a Hobby Entity should be one of diversity to represent all members, not just the members that are grammatically gifted.

We all become emotionally engaged in these types of discussion. That is what adds to the interest. However, when we forget manners, and use intentionally discourteous statements toward another to enforce a position, nothing is gained. :foryou:

I was asking tradedollarnut to define "successful." You of all people should appreciate such a post, as the majority of your additions here are of similar "relativity" clarification purpose.

The issue is not one of spelling or grammar, as has been overemphasized and misconstrued from my original post. The issue is one of diplomacy and professionalism. Neither of those two attributes were present in Ms. Sperber's blog, and someone of her business acumen should simply know better. Now I will leave this thread be, as the only thing in the past 20 or so posts being accomplished is persons talking "past" one another. Cheerio. :foryou:

I was asking tradedollarnut to define "successful." You of all people should appreciate such a post, as the majority of your additions here are of similar "relativity" clarification purpose.

The issue is not one of spelling or grammar, as has been overemphasized and misconstrued from my original post. The issue is one of diplomacy and professionalism. Neither of those two attributes were present in Ms. Sperber's blog, and someone of her business acumen should simply know better. Now I will leave this thread be, as the only thing in the past 20 or so posts being accomplished is persons talking "past" one another. Cheerio. :foryou:

You lost me at relativity clarification purpose. :foryou:lol

Best, HT

Mark as you likely would agree, the chances of these two dealers having the same type, date, and grade of a coin to offer within the same time frame is almost impossible because they both deal in 'unique' examples of very rare/uncommon coins, with each their own unique value. Just sayin' (shrug);)

Brandon - your comments - +1

Best, HT

Best, HT

Mark as you likely would agree, the chances of these two dealers having the same type, date, and grade of a coin to offer within the same time frame is almost impossible because they both deal in 'unique' examples of very rare/uncommon coins, with each their own unique value. Just sayin' (shrug);)

Brandon - your comments - +1

Best, HT

If that's the case, why did you make your initial comment? It would seem to be a moot point. :devil: