• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IN THE BEGINNING ~ Coin Collecting for David posted by DGW Coins

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I want the best American coins that I can buy. No proofs, but I did just get an 1885 MS67+ NGC S$1. Being retired, it is buy and sell to find some more money. With some of the collections I look at, I hope you all are not wealthy. Anyway, come along and help me write my journal. David

My grandfather was born in 1879 Maine. At 31 years old, he married and they moved to Washington, D. C. He saved some MS pennies and nickels for my cousin, Denis, and me. I have been collecting for my 65 year life. There have been some nice silver dollars in my life, but hard times saw them roll away. It seems that silver dollars and a 19th century type set will be a great challenge to start.

14727.jpg

See more journals by DGW Coins

Hello and welcome!

That is a very nice Morgan....nice coin to start off with here. As for us all being wealthy, well.....I'm sure some of us are, but nowhere near all of us. I know I'm not. Right now, my main occupation is full-time Graduate Student. I'm far from wealthy! But I fund my collecting just like you do, by finding coins I can get a good deal on and reselling them for profit. I've built a nice little collection this way with coins from all over the world. My main pursuits are Ottoman, American and German coins ( and in that order). I think you'll find many great collectors and potential friends in this community.....it's a great one!

I think buying coins for a collection and then selling a few as you go along is a great learning experience to help one understand the coin market (and not overpaying along the way). I've made many purchase mistakes in my learning curve and, while I hate losing money, it was worth the tuition expense.

I'm glad that at 65 you're having some fun and enjoying this great hobby. Bravo!

I think buying coins for a collection and then selling a few as you go along is a great learning experience to help one understand the coin market (and not overpaying along the way). I've made many purchase mistakes in my learning curve and, while I hate losing money, it was worth the tuition expense.

I'm glad that at 65 you're having some fun and enjoying this great hobby. Bravo!

Dittos on the learning curve. As a Morgan Dollar collector myself, I'd be proud to own the Morgan Dollar pictured in Dave's post. Congratulations Dave on purchasing such a fine coin! My highest graded Morgans are MS-66 and one, the 1882-S, stickered by CAC. One day I hope to purchase a MS-67 for my set. For now I'll show off the pride of my set. No learning curve on this one, when I bought this coin, I knew I had a keeper!

1335901_Full_Obv.jpg1335901_Full_Rev.jpg

Oh how I enjoy this hobby!

Gary