• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Returning to a passion of coins posted by Dsrtknght

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It was easier when I was younger and everything was cheaper.

I decided to diversify my portfolio and have some fun at the same time. But collecting has changed quite a bit since Ebay came online. I started to do research about a month ago and decided to focus on Morgan Dollars and Silver Bullion as my primary effort (there is just something about a mined piece of silver).

I have carried a 1921 Morgan Dollar with me throughout my 35 year career in the military. It accompanied me to Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, Germany, Italy, Brussels and much of the United States and looks pretty good after 92 years. So, it was only natural that I look to upgrade my current 1921 Morgan and collect the rest of them as well.

Thankfully, I have only been suckered once by a seller on Ebay and the quality of coins I have found are at least minimally collectable and some were actually at a fair price. A few dealers are overpriced and I avoid them while most are pretty fair. I'm looking forward to completing my New Orleans set, then moving on to the remaining mints. Carson City might be out of my reach but I have many years to pursue this goal while upgrading the coins I have in my collection. Happy hunting.

See more journals by Dsrtknght

Jack,

As the brother of 4 Jarheads, I'm glad to see a fellow service brother in the forum. Looking forward to having some fun, improving my coin set and hopefully teaching my kids something about money, value and a hobby many people enjoy.

Scott

Go Army

Go Buckeyes (Beat Michigan, again)

There's nothing wrong with dealing with Sellers on E-Bay provided you're an accomplished grader and the Sellers have a return policy. Buy It Now Sellers are mostly overpriced, they don't deserve your business if your common date coin is double it's actual worth.

I've seen dollars move around quite a bit in just the last 5 years. Just stick with MS 65 or better coins whenever you can.

There are a number of regular E-Bay Sellers who frequent these boards. I'd recommend their offerings be considered. The links to their posting are in the Marketplace.

Welcome to the boards!!

Good luck to you and I hope you post more about your hunt for nice Morgans. It's a series that I've been looking into, at least for a type coin or two. But I haven't jumped in to the market, yet. ~jack