• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Armour Intercept Bags - Free Sample

9 posts in this topic

If you are not familiar with Intercept Technology, pls check out our website; http://www.coinarmour.com

Intercept is used for the preservation of silver, gold, copper, and bronze coins. It utilizes technology for the prevention of corrosion of coins. The Intercept lining of the bag neutralizes gases in the air which can cause coins to spot, discolor, and tarnish.

If you want a free sample, pls send me email thru the website. Email is after the research papers.

http://www.coinarmour.com/Research_Contact_Us.php

thanks,

Chris

I personally met with Chris at a Show and made a purchase of these. He has a good head on his shoulders, very professional.With my coins, I always have had my concerns with Environmental damage to my fragile coins and even noticed toning,spotting etc to my PERFECTLY graded specimens, even more so from two certain TPGs other than our host. Don't ask me why I was too cheap to throw a few bags over them for added protection, Want to play with the big dogs, gotta step up to the plate. Big thankx and good luck with things Chris!

I found this policy while search another chat board.

The second to last sentence says it all.

http://www.pcgs.com/Silver-Coins-Spot-Policy/

PCGS POLICY FOR SPOTTING OF MODERN SILVER COINS

The Spot Problem

The December 17, 2012 issue of Coin World had an article describing the Mint's acknowledgement of the "white spots" problem for modern silver coins, especially the .999 American Silver Eagles. In the article it states,

"During her less then 18 months as the U.S. Mint's quality division chief, Stacy Kelley-Scherer has focused her attention on a problem that has plagued the American Silver Eagle silver bullion coin almost since its 1986 inception – spots. So far, a solution that prevents spotting from occurring has eluded Mint officials... Each year of the program, collectors and dealers of the American Eagle silver dollars have reported spots or blotches on the obverse and reverse, on all finishes – bullion, Proof and Uncirculated – and on coins from all Mints. The spotting is random and can appear as a single spot, multiple spots crossing the field and devices, or in large blotches or patches consuming significant portions of a coin's design."

The article illustrated spotted Silver Eagles that had been graded by Numismatic Guaranty Corp. (NGC). But the problem is not limited to NGC or any other grading service. At PCGS, we have received Silver Eagles in sealed Mint boxes (the 500 once green "monster boxes") and opened them to find coins that have already spotted. We have also graded spot-free coins, sent them to customers, and then had them returned to us months later after they had developed spots. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why some coins spot and some don't. But it is clearly something that is happening at the U.S. Mint.

The problem is also not limited to Silver Eagles or coins from the U.S. Mint. We have seen the same spotting problem on modern U.S. silver commemoratives and modern coins from other Mints such as Canada, China, and Australia. Our feeling is that it has something to do with the .999 silver composition, as the earlier pre-1965 90% silver coins seldom spot. However, it could also have something to do with the way the planchets are prepared or washed. We are not sure of the cause of the spotting, and apparently neither are the Mints of the world.

PCGS Modern Silver Coin Spot Policy

When initially grading modern silver issues, PCGS will deduct for spots that are already evident. If coins spot after they are graded by PCGS, they are not covered by the terms of the PCGS grading guarantee. If you would like us to try to remove spots from your coins by "dipping" them, we may be able to do that. It is our experience that spots on proof Silver Eagles can be removed in about 80% of the cases, but spots on Mint State Silver Eagles will only come off approximately 10% to 25% of the time. We launched a Restoration Service on January 2, 2013 and for a fee (grading fee plus 4% of the value) we will remove spots, unattractive toning and other imperfections. However, this fee would be excessive for most modern silver issues so as a service to our customers, we will have a spot removal service for modern silver coins available beginning April 1, 2013. We are only charging a flat fee of $5 for spot removal on modern silver coins. Note that we cannot guarantee whether our spot removal attempt will be successful. If the spots do not come out, we will still reholder you coin in its original grade. It will just be a spotted coin of that grade. We anticipate that a two tier market (spot-free and spotted) will develop, much as it has in the past 10 years or so in the U.S. generic gold market. For further information about our spot removal service, contact PCGS Customer Service after April 1, 2013.

I belong to another chat board and found this post interesting. This is exactly why proper storage is key. If you do not properly store your coins to prevent toning and spotting, you will spend lots of $$$ having them conserved, regraded, and possibly not receive the same grade back. Intercept can and will protect your coins.

"I had 20 PCGS gold pandas of different sizes and dates. Most of them had hazing or copper spots, such that they didn't meet the high standards of the coins I sell to people. For that reason, and the fact that I prefer NGC, I sent them all for NGC crossover, asking them to send them through NCS if they stood a good chance of getting the same grade. Upon evaluation, NGC called and said that the hazing was so heavy on many of them that they couldn't see the underlying coin surface well enough to make an assessment on whether they would crossover. They asked me if I would still like to go forward, given that they could make no guarantees. Fair enough, I appreciate the call before they lock me in for any service. Since the coins had the hazing or copper spotting, and I wouldn't feel comfortable selling them as is, and the surface would likely degrade over time if I didn't remove the PVC film, I told them to go ahead, I'll take the gamble, let's send them through NCS and see what NGC grades they get after conservation.

Part of the reason I made that decision is that I know from the person I bought many of them from that they were graded at PCGS over a year ago, at a time that I was comfortable with PCGS standards, and I suspect that most of the hazing developed after grading (because otherwise, I don't think they could have gotten the high grades that they did).

Here are stats:

I sent in 18 PCGS MS69 and 2 PCGS MS68.

17 PCGS MS69 also earned NGC MS69

1 PCGS MS68 also earned NGC MS68

1 PCGS MS68 earned NGC MS69

1 PCGS MS69 earned NGC MS68.

Part of me was hoping I might sneak a MS70 or two after conservation, but another part of me was worried that the coins wouldn't conserve well and I would have some MS67s with slightly degraded surfaces. Thus, I'll take it. I also now feel better about the coins sitting in my safety deposit box for an extended time period, now that I've removed any PVC film from their surface."

We also offer storage boxes which complements our bags.

•Each box will hold 15 NGC and/or PCGS small coin slabs, inside our bags, except for piedfort

•The box is heavy duty, compact and lined with acid-free paper

•The box includes thumb cut-outs on the top for easy opening

•The box is specifically designed to hold small coin slabs in our Corrosion Intercept bags

•Excellent size for storing in safe deposit boxes

Storage boxes

Here are some pics of coins that experienced corrosion after being graded. It is important to properly store your coins in the correct material. Intercept is the only storage medium that acts as an active barrier to remove harmful gases that can cause corrosion. Our bags are specifically designed to hold either PCGS or NGC coin slabs.

Coin Armour Store

263974_01_zpsd2388664.jpg

PCGSeagle_zps3f7f52b5.jpg

Here is a picture or our storage boxes.

They are designed to hold 15 NGC or PCGS slabs in our bags. The boxes have a higher sidewall to accommodate for the bag material. Also, they are heavy duty sturdy boxes, and lined with acid-free paper. Perfect size for storing.

13767670424421539296169_zpscbd02b3b.jpg

If you are not familiar with Intercept Technology, pls check out our website; http://www.coinarmour.com

Intercept is used for the preservation of silver, gold, copper, and bronze coins. It utilizes technology for the prevention of corrosion of coins. The Intercept lining of the bag neutralizes gases in the air which can cause coins to spot, discolor, and tarnish.

Our bags are specifically designed to hold PCGS or NGC slabs.

coinarmour_zpsa9aa9444.png

tn_480_f21d746e22d7f8113ba750a2558fb6b2_JPG_zps2ae89da0.png

If you want a free sample, pls send me an email thru our store.

Or you can simply browse our store. http://shop.coinarmour.com/

thanks,

Chris