• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Real value of the Canadian Silver Dollars in great question by CaptBrian1

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Friend of mine has 200 of them, are they worth silver value or billions and billions?

A friend of mine asked me to grade and evaluate some coins for him. I went over and found he had some simple Canadian Silver Dollars, and on first look saw them as circulated, and in rather poor condition. Not even in the AU state, beyond that, when I went to the NGC Global price guide, I found some very low graded coins could be worth hundreds if not thousands. Does anyone know about these coins and their possible value?

I am going over there again with the grading book by Whitman, 6th addition. Any input would be great.

Capt. Brian

See more journals by CaptBrian1

I am by far an expert but, as a rule of MY thumb, I would grade cautiously and then drop the estimated grade by one or, two. Then, go to the price guide and reduce the $$$ by around 15% due to the possible over-pricing.

IMHO, I find that I am less disappointed in the grade and final FMV determined by NGC.

As mentioned, I do not know what I am talking about. :makepoint:

Semper Fi !

Jack

I just bought 4 Canadian silver dollars at a Heritage auction for about $110 total. They all had either PL or SP designation (NGC). There isn't a huge market for these coins and I believe that is why there aren't so many graded. That doesn't mean the coins aren't in someones personal collection it's just that I believe they just don't get them graded like we due in the lower 48. I'd be careful in advising value.

Canadian silver dollars are very nice to collect, but the market is small. Long ago I pucked up a roll of beautiful 1945s for barely more than common dates. I thought they'd be an easy sell -- nope. Took a long time to sell them and make a profit...but the series remains atteractive and reasonably priced....no "register set" foolishness jacking up the price.

Canadian silver dollars are very nice to collect, but the market is small. Long ago I pucked up a roll of beautiful 1945s for barely more than common dates. I thought they'd be an easy sell -- nope. Took a long time to sell them and make a profit...but the series remains atteractive and reasonably priced....no "register set" foolishness jacking up the price.

Maybe you should have held on to them slightly longer then. The 1945 Canadian Silver Dollar only had a mintage of 38,000 or so and as one can see here on the eBay activity they sell for quite a bit more than a dollar.

edited to add that if he has 1945's then make sure to check for the 5/5 or doubled 5 examples since they command a much higher price.