• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lousy day in Buena Park, CA........ but ends on a happy note.

22 posts in this topic

So I decide yesterday to go to the Buena Park, CA coinshow. It's advertised in Coinworld at about 65 dealers. The coinshow webpage gives the time, date and location with a discount coupon. The last time I was there, it was an active show. So I drive my 210 miles one way today in the hopes of picking up some neat coins and doing a bit of wheeling and dealing. I show up at the advertised Retail Clerks building, but NO SHOW. 893whatthe.gif Thinking the location was changed to the one on the coinshow website, I travel a couple of miles to the other location, and NO SHOW 893whatthe.gifmakepoint.gif. Now I am a bit discombobulated and pissed off. It was a four hour drive. There was no cancellation notice in Coinworld and nothing mentioned about a cancellation on the website. I did notice a couple of other people drive into the parking lot looking for the show, both none too happy, so I wasn't alone. I am sure there were many, many folks who took time to travel there with the same result. Well, after getting my composure back. I decided to make the best and have lunch at the world famous, Knott's Berry Farm chicken restuarant. Yummy. thumbsup2.gif Then, I decided to visit the nearby HOBBY CITY of Buena Park, which has a coin shop and airplane model store. I walk into the coin shop, fairly busy, with mediocre coins and stamps. I asked to see a tray of commems. All were low grade..............except for one. A very lustrous 1922 Grant in BU. I asked to see the coin, graded it and bought it on the spot. All I can say is, this coin appears to be one of the first 100 Grants minted, and will grade MS67. This made the trip. 893applaud-thumb.gif With a smile on my face, I went to the model store and picked up a neat WWII German tank kit. yay.gif Now I am super happy. I then hit the freeway to visit my mother who lives in LA.. Afterward, I drove home 210 miles in a drenching rain. But things turned out OK. takeit.gif

TRUTH

The inability of some organizations to maintain simple communication in this "age of communication" is a bit unreal. I wonder who the dope was who bothered to contact all the dealers and cancel the show, but failed to place a notice on their web site o in CW? makepoint.gif

Sounds like a fantastic piece you picked up with that Grant. thumbsup2.gif What had the coin shop graded it at?

Hoot

truth,

Sometimes, the coin gods work in mysterious ways we can't or aren't privy to understanding until after they've led us to what was meant to be. I've yet to experience this myself with coins and shows, but I do believe there is something to be said for being in the right place at the right time, regardless of the quest we are on. This is just a variation of my sig line.

Now why didn't you put up a picture of the Grant so all of us can see your good fortune? After all, it is the crux of your thread!

Truth: You dolt! First of all you should have contacted ME. I live less than, what, 10 miles for the place. I could have had lunch at Knotts! Crapploa!

Also, I would have warned you about that coin shop. I'm sure it was the one at "Hobby City". That place is horrible! BUT...I was wondering if the Train Shop was still there. I used to go there as a kid and have been there since stopped into that coin store within that last 10 years or so. I don't know if the Train shop is still there now. Did you see it?

jom

Jom,

Hobby City was full of kids. I didn't see a train, but they have a mini roller coaster. They also have a couple of sportcard and hobby museums. Kinda cool place. The coin store is a hole in the wall, but incredibly, less one magnificent Grant.

Spy,

Sorry, my scanner is kaputt. frown.gif When I first looked at the Grant, I wondered who graded it(MS63 on label). The coin is incredibly lustrous, PL fields, many die striations and hardly a mark, completely white and fully struck. 893whatthe.gif Frankly, in all my years in commems, this is one of the top 10 I have seen. Just an impossible find.

TRUTH

Sorry about the washed out show, but glad to hear Ulysses S. Grant saved the day!

Like Jom said, you should have let some of thrnage County crew know you were driving down for the day.

-JamminJ

"What had the coin shop graded it at?"

The coin shop had it graded MS63. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif The only reason I can suspect for the grade is the scattered die striations that initially appear as hairlines. Otherwise, confused-smiley-013.gif

TRUTH

JamminJ,

My first reaction after the disappointment was to hit the neighboring shops. I haven't stopped by that area for several years. I opened the phone book and looked up coin shops. Most were closed Saturday, with a few open in distant outlying areas. I remembered Hobby City had a store, so off I went. Then I thought of you and Greg, but no phone numbers with me. This was a spur of the moment show(no show), frown.gif. Next time I'm in the area, I'll let you know.

TRUTH

If the show had gone ahead and I had shown up I would have been in UTTER SHOCK if I had seen you there. 893whatthe.gif

You need to alter us beforehand if you intend one of these trips. BTW, are you going to Florida for that Palm Beach show or possibly FUN?

jom

You need to alter us beforehand if you intend one of these trips.

What would you have him turn you into? Perhaps a collector of originally toned coins? 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

wink.gif Hoot

Your experience reinforces my opinion that a full stomach improves one's mood. When full one is not thinking of eating and can relax and try to find the silver lining in the clouds that threaten all of us. Personally when I am hungry I can not think of anything else outside of eating...

I am sorry to say I find an inconsistency in your description of this commem. A coin with PL fields that is among one of the first minted would not have striations, would it?

" A coin with PL fields that is among one of the first minted would not have striations, would it? "

Some good examples of commems with PL fields and heavy die striations are low mintage Booker T. Washingtons. The 1947S, 1948S, 1950S, 1951S sometimes have reflective portions, among the myriad of die striations. I literally have 5 examples in NGC65-66 Prooflike exhibiting this effect. A DMPL dollar does not exhibit these characteristics.

TRUTH

You need to alter us beforehand if you intend one of these trips.

What would you have him turn you into? Perhaps a collector of originally toned coins? 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

You know...I really have NO idea what I was trying to say there. Albeit...that isn't anything new given my typical posts here. 893whatthe.gif

jom

"What German tank model kit did you get?"

It the new issue Dragon kit(old DML) for 2004 of the German Sd.Kfz. 251 ausf. D. It has three variants. I already have the Tamiya Kannonwagen variant, but this Dragon kit has the night version with night vision system "Falke". I have already built the Armored Car Personnel variant by Tamiya in desert tan. I prefer Tamiya, but Dragon has more precision parts. I really don't like the Shanghai Kits(mainland China DML), but sometimes they come out with interesting WWII tanks that no one else issues.

TRUTH

Ah, I've always liked the Sd Kfz 251s. (Never built one, though)

I used to build a lot of models when I has in Jr. High/High School, but gave up on them when the '73 oil crisis sent the prices of the Tamiya 1/35 kits I liked way up.

I still have a couple of kits in the basement that I've never finished, including, I think, a Marder II and an Sd Kfz 234. (I still have several of the old Squadron/Signal picture books, too.) I occasionally think about getting back into building models, but it takes about as much time as coin collecting does, and right now I only have time and space for one hobby!