• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First Journal Entry- The Man, the Method, the Madness.... posted by Deerefan8420

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The quest for the ultimate Birth year Mint Set. And so it begins....

Since I completed my Franklin Half Dollar collection, I have been "treading water" with my collecting pursuits. There are many different series of coins that I have thought about collecting, although I'm afraid that my eyes and my wants are much bigger than my wallet! I was fortunate enough to put together a nice Franklin set in a relatively short period of time and I am always working on upgrading or acquiring new coins for my Morgan Dollar set. But due to a recent submission of coins that I sent in for grading, I think I have found my new path.

1984 brought many new events and changes in United States history. From the name change of the Mint(it went from The Bureau of the Mint to United States Mint on January 9 1984) to the landslide re-election of Ronald Reagan, 1984 had many great events which highlighted that year. Those highlights include: The break-up of The Bell System(which held a near complete monopoly over all telephone services in most areas of the country), the 10th launch of the Challenger Space Shuttle, the longest game of Major League Baseball history(which lasted over 2 days with 25 innings of play), the Louisiana's World Fair in New Orleans, the 1984 Summer Olympics held in Los Angeles and the maiden voyage of the Discovery Space Shuttle.

1984 also brought some new changes to our family as well. My parents bought their first new home, Mom started her new career as an elementary school teacher, Dad started his new career at the Federal Bureau of Prisons as a guard, and on October 10th I was born into this world. After spending a few weeks in the NICU, I went home and my new life began. It wasn't until 26 years later that I would become truly interested in coins, collecting, numismatics and the history that surrounds it all.

Due to my work life and unbending schedules I very rarely have time to make it to the grocery store, much less any of the major coin shows throughout the country. So I did the next best thing I could think of. I joined the NGC Chat Boards! Before I found the chat boards, and the vast wealth of knowledge it contains, I was uneducated in the ways of grading, recognizing cleaned coins, and had an all around general lack of knowledge of numismatics. But since I joined in on the fun, I have met a lot of wonderful people and have learned so much more in the past 10 months than I had in previous years.

Since I am unable to attend shows during the year, which also means that I am unable to attend the educational seminars(grading coins mostly), I have devoted the majority of my time and resources to studying, reading and re-reading my ANA Grading Standards guide and learning what I could from the fellow members here. I have also engaged in the "trial and error" process through my submissions to NGC and have had some pretty decent success. And I hope that success continues as my grading abilities improve.

My ultimate goal for this new set is to cherry-pick the best of the best, submit each coin for grading, and hope that I come out on top with the #1 set once it is complete.

For my newest submission, I have the P&D Lincoln Cents going in. My minimum assigned grade for both of these coins are MS67RD. We should know in the next 12-13 business days how accurate my grades are. Here's hoping for the best! Thanks for reading and happy collecting!

Justin

See more journals by Deerefan8420

Justin,

I'll be the first to say nice start on one of the more comprehensive sets out there in the registry. Even on a meager budget, this is a fun series to work on. Hang in there, some of the rare ones will come your way with a little patience.

Welcome aboard and good luck on that 1984 Mint Set. A lot of times the dimes are key to the sets!

Michael

Justin

I wish to offer you a hearty welcome and I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future. I too am currently working on a complete set of Morgan Dollars. It is quite a daunting series to collect with 105 coins in the set. I currently have 72 coins in my set and I have been at it for three years now. I started with a goal of New Orleans minted coins only and found later that I wanted to complete the entire series. I am thinking it will take at least another two years to complete my set that fortunately has the really rare dates out of the way. Along the way I found so-called distraction sets a welcome change of scenery when Morgans got a little monotonous. I'm glad to see that your collecting interests are also broader than a single series. Above all have fun, I know I am.

Gary

Welcome Justin---this is a great community with many knowledgable, enthusiastic and companionable collectors. ( also, unfortunately, a few sarcastics and curmudgeons--but you learn who they are and just ignore them). Wonderful series you've selected and best of luck with your birth year set ( which was also one of the first sets I completed.)

I look forward to future journals entailing your progress and enjoyment of our hobby.......

Justin-

Wanted to add my welcome to the chorus. Like you I don't have the ability to go to coin shows or shops and the Collector's Society is my avenue to connect with other collector's so you've made a great choice in joining the community. I also started with Morgan's dollars in a one per year set and one bit of advice I garnered from one of Gary's posts when I first joined was to start with the rare dates first, as strategy I employed in starting my Kennedy set and I'm glad for the advice as most of the early dates in that set are now out of my price range.

All the best in your journey,

Larry

Thank you for the wonderful comments and greetings guys! I certainly do appreciate it. I have been active on the Chat Boards for the past several months but have never really participated in the Registry or the Journals. I know that there are many more collectors that participate in the Registry and Journal entries that I have not had a chance to interact with. By broadening the path of my collections and becoming a more active participant in the Registry I hope to gain a many new colleagues, but more importantly, I hope to meet new collectors with whom I have the privilege of calling "friend".

Thanks again for the warm welcomes and stay on the look-out for many more journals.

Justin