• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG A Few Morgan Dollars for your consideration. GRADES POSTED!

31 posts in this topic

All of these coin are in problem free NGC holders, if you could please give a grade suggestion and why it would be greatly helpful. I cant take any new pictures of these coins until they return from NGC but I do have a few more pictures that I took of them before I sent them off so if you need more pictures please let me know! Thanks in advance!

1878 S

DSCN1939_zps0897a351.jpg

DSCN1941_zps7cfb1d3d.jpg

DSCN1944_zps87f02b7f.jpg

DSCN1955_zps40cc7562.jpg

DSCN1960_zps35a3ddc5.jpg

DSCN1958_zpsc8dcc4d4.jpg

1899 O

DSCN1951_zpsd6648248.jpg

DSCN1953_zps90ebc852.jpg

DSCN1952_zps81775781.jpg

I'd call them:

1878S: AU

1883: AU

1899O: AU to MS-63? There is something funny going on with the cheek, and I can't tell if it is the picture or what?

Sorry, I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear. None of these are really worth submitting unless they get at least 65, and I don't think any of them have a chance at that.

Well, If I said that I wasn't hoping for more Reponses I would be lying! That was a painful evaluation, however I must admit that my pictures are not the best. If you would like I will PM you with the grades, I don't want to post them here yet just incase I do get a few more responses. Thanks for your evaluation as painful as it may have been, it is greatly appreciated nonetheless.

1878-S: MS-63 VAM-22 VAM-101 ? --- fully toned and luster hidden in the picture.

1883: MS-63

1899-O: MS-64 PL

Well maybe not.

Alright more responses! :banana:

Now to read the responses :sick:

Thanks for the replies, I have no idea as to the VAM that is one area that I can say I have resisted! As for the grades, they are all in problem free NGC holders now and on their way back to be, so no details grades.

I like the responses but if you could be more specific as to why they are AU's it would more helpful.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies, I have no idea as to the VAM that is one area that I can say I have resisted! As for the grades, they are all in problem free NGC holders now and on their way back to be, so no details grades.

I like the responses but if you could be more specific as to why they are AU's it would more helpful.

Thanks!

Well like we all say---it is very hard to grade with pictures so disclaimer.

I really thought #1 was going to be get environmental damage. In my experience pictures come off better and not as dark especially up close and I'm actually sort of surprised it didn't get that but to answer your question....they both are close to MS but they 'appear' to show signs of wear. The reverse of both are pretty weak and #2 shows wear marks above the ear. It is light but still enough I see them as AU.

I give up on the VAM too. (shrug)

I know what you mean, I have the books but I lack the skills to pick out VAMS. I can large cents and bust halves easily but you give me a Morgan dollar and I'm lost before I even begin!

Thanks for the clarification redlama, I can assure that my photography skills are very poor and these pictures are bad, the coin is much lighter in hand and has slightly reflective fields.

Mark and wdrob if you could give a brief explanation that would be great!

Once again thanks!

#1 AU55

#2 AU58

#3 anything between AU58 and MS64. Can't tell from these pics. If you have more pics, please post them

Bare with me on the pictures, I will try to upload a few more! I'm sorry for the terrible pictures!

#1 AU55

#2 AU58

#3 anything between AU58 and MS64. Can't tell from these pics. If you have more pics, please post them

Bare with me on the pictures, I will try to upload a few more! I'm sorry for the terrible pictures!

I think the pictures are actually pretty good. I actually think we are all so used to picture being such poor representations of the coins that we can tend to make presumptions that the coins look worse but your pictures are well done.

Somebody said that the 99 could be PL. From what I see I don't see that at all but when it comes to PL and DPL designations it is really impossible to tell without the coin in hand unless it is a year with strong cams.

Thanks!

#1 looks to have wear in the hair and on the eagles breast and leg feathers, also it appears flat and void of luster but that might be hidding under the toning. Overall AU50

#2 same as the first except that this does show good luster so I'll guess AU58

#3 looks unc in the pics nice full cheek with a good strike I'll guess 64 shot 65

I'm not sure if these are any better but its all I have until I get tem back in hand. There is going to be duplication but for some reason my pictures are all out of whack on photo bucket.

1878 S

DSCN1944_zps87f02b7f.jpg

DSCN1942_zpsc4b26d39.jpg

DSCN1941_zps7cfb1d3d.jpg

DSCN1939_zps0897a351.jpg

DSCN1940_zps780f42d9.jpg

DSCN1959_zps0847641b.jpg

DSCN1955_zps40cc7562.jpg

DSCN1956_zps8a1d15e0.jpg

DSCN1957_zpse0ed0109.jpg

DSCN1958_zpsc8dcc4d4.jpg

DSCN1951_zpsd6648248.jpg

DSCN1952_zps81775781.jpg

DSCN1953_zps90ebc852.jpg

DSCN1954_zpsa9b56b8b.jpg

#1 AU55

#2 AU58

I think the pictures are actually pretty good. I actually think we are all so used to picture being such poor representations of the coins that we can tend to make presumptions that the coins look worse but your pictures are well done.

Somebody said that the 99 could be PL. From what I see I don't see that at all but when it comes to PL and DPL designations it is really impossible to tell without the coin in hand unless it is a year with strong cams.

Thanks for the compliment, you are the first person that has actually told me my coin pictures are good! :banana: in case you all couldn't tell the banana character is my favorite!

"You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."

Mark Twain

:grin:

Well it is like this; I was going to go AU on that 1st one since it does not show any luster in the picture until I saw the Concave Obverse (looks like it anyway) and when I zoomed in on your PhotoBucket I could see that it may just be heavily toned with a good base luster that we can't see in the pictures. The wear above the ear actually looked less than the other two examples.

The second one; I see Morgans quite often that have what looks to be some wear above the ear and on the Eagles chest and they are sitting in MS-63 to MS-65 holders. So for that one I figured I would rely on the luster and the fields more than I would the two wear points I mentioned.

Now the third one; That is where I let my imagination take over and I can actually see that one having very reflective mirrors and frosty devices. I looked up the population of PL's and DPL's and thought that it would not be a stretch for that to end up in a MS-64 PL holder.

That was my reasoning. But I over grade everything anyway. lol

"You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."

Mark Twain

:grin:

Well it is like this; I was going to go AU on that 1st one since it does not show any luster in the picture until I saw the Concave Obverse (looks like it anyway) and when I zoomed in on your PhotoBucket I could see that it may just be heavily toned with a good base luster that we can't see in the pictures. The wear above the ear actually looked less than the other two examples.

The second one; I see Morgans quite often that have what looks to be some wear above the ear and on the Eagles chest and they are sitting in MS-63 to MS-65 holders. So for that one I figured I would rely on the luster and the fields more than I would the two wear points I mentioned.

Now the third one; That is where I let my imagination take over and I can actually see that one having very reflective mirrors and frosty devices. I looked up the population of PL's and DPL's and thought that it would not be a stretch for that to end up in a MS-64 PL holder.

That was my reasoning. But I over grade everything anyway. lol

Its one of those coins were I could possibly see it being PL but I just always put disclaimer in there that is just really, really hard to do with pictures.

I suppose there have been a sufficient amount of responses so I will post the grades now. Please keep in mind that these coins are still on their way back from NGC and for some reason the pictures are not showing up with the cert verification. Well, let me go ahead and give the cert numbers and grades nonetheless.

1878 S

CERT# 2613699-006

MS-62

CERT# 2613699-002

MS-63

1899 O

CERT# 2613699-004

MS-65+

Oddly enough the two 1879 S Morgans I sent in came back UNC details but they were both originally in problem free PCGS holders. Go figure I guess you win some and you lose some!

I wanted to address the PL issue brought up earlier, the 1899 O has a frosted appearance that is uniform on both the fields and the devices so no its not PL but is very distinct from most other Morgans. The coin on the list that is semi-pl is the 1878 S the fields are very reflective but the devices are not frosted, I don't the exact way to measure how reflective the fields are but I did hear about the old newspaper print technique. I can clearly read the text on a newspaper in the fields at about 4 inches.

So ... Did you want PayPal or a Check for that 1899-O? :grin:

Did you cross over all those above also and if so were they all PCGS? Curious how they crossed regardless of TPG actually if you are willing to share that info.

I don't mind sharing that info at all! The three I posted here were all raw when I purchased them and I was the first to send them in. The results were not what I had expected but that's just the name of the game!

The two 1879 S Morgans that I didn't post but submitted along with these two were both in problem free PCGS 64 holders. A 64 for that year is not expensive so I cracked them out of the holders and placed them both in Dansco 7070 albums (I will try to find the labels if I can, no promises my desk is a nightmare at the moment!). I have decided to start slimming down my type sets lately and these 79S looked like they had a shot at a 65 so I sent them in. Well you know the results so I suppose I will put them back in the 7070 for now (I haven't really made up my mind yet).

The cert numbers for the others are as follows

2613699-003

2513699-005

Does anybody have any idea why the pictures are not showing on the cert verification? Could this because they are newly slabbed?

Thanks for that info on the submissions.

No Pictures? They usually show up on my graded coins within a day or two after they post the grades. Evidently you have the slabs in hand so it has been far more than two days. (shrug)

I don't mind sharing that info at all! The three I posted here were all raw when I purchased them and I was the first to send them in. The results were not what I had expected but that's just the name of the game!

The two 1879 S Morgans that I didn't post but submitted along with these two were both in problem free PCGS 64 holders. A 64 for that year is not expensive so I cracked them out of the holders and placed them both in Dansco 7070 albums (I will try to find the labels if I can, no promises my desk is a nightmare at the moment!). I have decided to start slimming down my type sets lately and these 79S looked like they had a shot at a 65 so I sent them in. Well you know the results so I suppose I will put them back in the 7070 for now (I haven't really made up my mind yet).

The cert numbers for the others are as follows

2613699-003

2513699-005

Does anybody have any idea why the pictures are not showing on the cert verification? Could this because they are newly slabbed?

Very nice results. My guesses were 61, 62, 64. That being said, are the certification numbers showing in the data base? Did you request photo certification? If yes to both questions then give it a day or two and your certifications and photos will be in the NGC data base. If there are any issues communicate directly with NGC, they are very helpful in resolving most issues.

Carl

Did you request photo certification? If yes to both questions then give it a day or two and your certifications and photos will be in the NGC data base.

Carl,

I have never requested any type of photo certification and the photos of my coins graded have always just shown up?

Is this something new? Do you now have to request for them to be created?

Billl

I don't actually have the coins back in hand yet, but they were completed last Friday so I should be getting them back in a few days or so. I too have never had any issues with the photos, that's why I asked. I must admit that this submission was in lingo so to speak due to a (NCS offer) and the holiday on Monday so I'm not sure what to expect. I figure I will wait until later tomorrow and if the pictures don't show up I give NGC a call.

Edited to add:

I have never had any issues with NGC's costumer service so if there is any issues I know they will be taken care of fully, in my opinion this is one of the best parts of NGC!

1878 S

CERT# 2613699-006

MS-62

CERT# 2613699-002

MS-63

1899 O

CERT# 2613699-004

MS-65+

My grades before I just scrolled down to here were AU58, MS63, and MS65. So NGC got one right.