• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sometimes Less is Better posted by Jackson

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Lesser grade and lesser cost, however all of the enjoyment.

I don't know if others do this but I would guess that many of my fellow collectors do. As a classic coin collector I sometimes run through the slots of a budding set and try and figure out the maximum grade or cost I'll be able to afford for the slots.

As an example--in my Walker short set I surmised early on that an MS66 1941-S would be the max grade I could obtain. A PQ 41-S goes for $1500 to $1700 however an MS67 may sell for $25,000+. ( and people wonder why re-submitting and crackouts are enticing?)

So, having a general idea of the maximum grade I can afford to fill each slot with I generally refine my searches to coins in that grade.

There are exceptions however, and I'm not talking about breaking my "spending ceiling" and shelling out $20K on a coin. No, the exception is when a coin of great eye appeal grabs my attention and the desired/targeted grade on the slab loses its importance.

This has happened several times to me with the Mercury dime set. A gorgeous MS67 with unique tone or satiny glow captures my eye--even if it has less than FSB, and that becomes the slot filler. Often the 67FB example would have been within my range however I almost always tend toward the "unique" coin over it's pristine white counterpart.

The last 2 additions to the Walker set were both unconventional like this. I "upgraded" my 1942 from a blast white coin in MS67 with wonderful flowlines and frosty look for an attractive rim-toned example-also in MS67. The 1937 I bought for its dazzling striations of pink, peach and lavender was graded as an MS66- a slot that I had originally projected as an MS67 ( it would require a pretty spectacular coin to unseat my 1937's place in my set.)

Yesterday I added another. I have looked at many 1939-S Walkers in MS67 and nearly pulled the trigger on a few that were priced well. In the end I held off because my goal is not just to fill the slot--but to find great coins to fill the slots. The MS66 Walker I found yesterday does just that. Not for everyone with it's amber to oaken rim tones and subtly hidden blues and veridians in the niches of the details--to me it immediately clicked. To make it even better, I got it at far less than an MS67 cost and even $120 less than my high bid.

Maybe a lesser grade but I'll be enjoying this one for a while.......happy hunting everyone.....the reverse of my new 1939-S MS66 in an older gen NGC fatty with inscribed logo...

14324.jpg

See more journals by Jackson

I thought I'd follow up here instead of bumping other people's journals down---here is the obverse of the 39-S...also I included pics of the 1942 and the 1937 I mentioned in my journaling.....

141386.jpg.d47a3199bfb4b4150944350f12cc30ec.jpg

141387.jpg.e8d4ed3a678be9f4ad0a99855ec81766.jpg

141388.jpg.de76c2cbaa8d3a282666cf9bbd205d74.jpg

Beautiful color on those Walkers! I know how tough it is to find evenly/attractively toned Walkers, as I am putting together a short set of them now. The 1937 is gorgeous (and so are the rest).

In regards to pricing coins out ahead of time, I do the same thing. I already have my short set planned out by grade/price - although price will vary. You mentioned cracking some of the more expensive dates out of their holders and submitting them. Have you had success with this in the past? That's something that would really pay off with any of the tough San Francisco minted Walkers, and a tactic that I've thought about many times.

Jackson,

Nicely written article that provides the reader with great insight into your buying strategy.

At the end of the day you will have a set of Walkers that will have both great eye appeal and value.

Continued success !!!

Rich