• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Today at Parsippany

11 posts in this topic

I guess I'll go first today.

The monthly Parsippany, NJ show seemed to be itself today. This 80-table show was crowded as usual - all the tables were full, there was a lot of floor traffic and the book-and-supply dealer was there, too.

However, unlike my usual report, I can't really tell you what was there, because I spent almost all my time today talking to njcoincrank, TomB, Airplanenut and Wihlborg. Since Tom didn't have a table, we congregated at njcoincrank's table, who took the invasion with very good grace. He let us (actually Tom, but we looked over Tom's shoulders) look through boxes of jaw-droppingly amazing coins. All I can say is: "OOOH!" "AHHH!" "I didn't know coins like this existed", etc.

After a bit, we went out to the hallway to have some show-and-tell time. Tom showed some of his recent purchases, all which featured really impressive natural surfaces and appropriately medium- and dark-gray toning (for the silver coins, that is). I have to say, once you've seen really original surfaces, you won't be satisfied by "messed-with" (dipped, soap-and-water, lightened with baking soda, etc.) coins again.

Here's an example of really inappropriate customer behavior that I saw today: I was standing at a dealer's table talking to the dealer, who was standing behind and next to his display case, with his hand on three double-row red boxes (which were clearly on his side of the table). While we were talking, a guy, who was going down the row of tables, looking at the cases, suddenly reached his hand across the table to grab one of the boxes. The dealer slammed his hand on the box and looked at the guy, who, surprised, I think, belatedly asked "Can I look at the box?" The dealer's response? "Not now!" accompanied by a look that would kill at 50 paces.

What kind of ill-mannered fool does that? I was just dumbfounded!

Fun moment of today: In my few minutes of quickly walking the floor, I bought my first sample slab - it's an NGC-6.2 on Cameron's website, which is an MS-64 1943-P nickel. I took the coin over to Tom and said "Oh, I've got something to show you." He got an interested look on his face - and then screamed in agony when I produced the sample slab! (heh, heh, heh!) I thought I could hear him say "Oh, No, Cameron!" but it was hard to tell. devil.gif

All-in-all, it was a really fun time!

Dave,

It was nice seeing you again. I'm Sorry you won't be able to make the White Plains show next week.

See you at the next Parsippany show.

John

"What kind of ill-mannered fool does that? I was just dumbfounded!"

Are you referring to the dealer or the guy that grabbed the box?

The way Airplanenut explained it, the dealer seemed justified in what he did as the dealer was already engaged and the customer took it upon himself to essentially butt in. Was that strong of a reaction by the dealer necessary? I don't know, I wasn't there, but if I suspected someone might be trying to walk off with a box of my coins, I would have reacted the same way.

John

John,

I thought I was clear - I did call it "really inappropriate customer behavior". In any event, I was referring to the ill-mannered fool who grabbed without asking. (I come from out West, where you never, ever, touch something belonging to someone else - his gun, his tools, his dog, etc. without asking first!)

Considering the value of what was in the box, that fool was lucky he didn't lose some fingers - which I would have considered perfectly justified.

I totally agree with Dave--the box had probably 60+ coins, and nearly every one that was "priced" seemed to be well over $1000... if I had a box that valuable, I'd be pretty pissed when someone slowly moves it his way.

Jeremy

I must say though, the look on that ‘fools’ face after he realized that he should not have grabbed that box was quite funny, Kind of a mixture of fear and embarrassment! I think he may have learned a valuable lesson on coin show etiquette today.

John

Thanks for the report, Dave.

Ditto.

coin show etiquette

Now, there's an oxymoron.

Unfortunately true in nearly every forum. Decorum is a lost art. We should all be required to attend finishing school and should be killed if we fail. sumo.gif

Hoot

It was good to see you again, Dave, even though you just killed me with that sample slab! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif Yes, I did groan something along the lines of you turning into Cameron, however, my sample slab-induced blackout precludes me from remembering the event with any more clarity. I believe I did get you back, though, when I let you examine my 1838-O dime and did not let you buy it. devil.gif

It's too bad that I was walking the floor when that guy reached across the table to grab at the box of coins; I would really have liked to see the view on the faces of both participants in that mini-drama. 893whatthe.gif

By the way, you didn't mention the coins that you brought with you. For a guy who is fast becoming a "plastic-man" you sure had a few nice looking, originally toned, choice seated coins on you. thumbsup2.gif

Were you on time for your wife or did you get in trouble?

That sample slab purchase though... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Ha-Ha, Tom!

I knew in advance, of course, that you wouldn't sell me your 1838-O dime, so one reason I bought the sample slab was to torture you! (See, if you had sold me that dime, I wouldn't have tortured you!! [hint, hint].)

You're right, it was certainly worth it to see the look on njcoincrank's face - if looks could kill, that guy would have been a puddle of slime on the floor!

I'm glad you liked my coins!

(I was late to pick up my wife - and there was a definite chill in the air when I arrived!)