• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you? Saint question.

35 posts in this topic

As the OP, I tend to agree with you with respect to purchasing a high grade Saint for Type Purposes. For set purposes, however, I can see a place for lower grades. For example, an MS64 1912, 1913 or 1920 is a very nice collector grade.

As a PT collector and not a FT numismatist, I don't know the difference between 'set purposes' and 'Type purposes.' doh!

As the OP, I tend to agree with you with respect to purchasing a high grade Saint for Type Purposes. For set purposes, however, I can see a place for lower grades. For example, an MS64 1912, 1913 or 1920 is a very nice collector grade.

As a PT collector and not an FT numismatist, I don't know the difference between 'set purposes' and 'Type purposes.' doh!

Set collecting typically refers to collecting the various dates which comprise a series/a given type. So, for example, "set purposes" with respect to Saints would involve collecting them by date (and mintmark)..

Type collecting usually involves collecting just one of a given type. So a type collector might buy just one example of a Saint, or perhaps one no motto and one with motto piece.

Set collecting typically refers to collecting the various dates which comprise a series/a given type. So, for example, "set purposes" with respect to Saints would involve collecting them by date (and mintmark)..Type collecting usually involves collecting just one of a given type. So a type collector might buy just one example of a Saint, or perhaps one no motto and one with motto piece.

Thanks Mark...I guess I'm in the early stages of what I HOPE will be a set collection. :grin:

I hope to not run into the coin collecting version of the 'law of large numbers' -- as in prices :grin: -- for some time.

Seriously, I just added a few commons and have a while to go before I get more of them and some of the easy-to-collect mint marks.

I'll just answer the OP without looking at other replies.For the way I collect, I do not like Saints in MS-62, or even MS-64. They are too large and heavy to really look "nice" at anything below MS-65 in my opinion, and the premium is not so huge as to be prohibitive. In fact, for the proportionally small premium, I would only get an MS-66 to serve type purposes.But then again... I don't own any gold and don't plan too lol !

You're aware that even for the common years, there's a HUGE increase in going from MS62-64 to MS65-66 ? I'm talking on the order of 50-100%, or more.

I was referring to a "type" example, i.e. the most common dates. In that regard, a 50% increase from MS-64 to MS-66 is VERY reasonable by comparison to many series. For example, you can get a common MS-64 Morgan for $70, but I'd say the cheapest MS-66 warrants a 300% increase in price.

A common MS-64 Mercury dime costs about ten bucks. Try to find an MS-66 for less than a 300% premium,

Even a common buffalo nickel in MS-64 goes for $25 and is going to cost at least 100% more in MS-66.

When you compare, that makes a common Saint upgrade from 4 to 6 seem cheap.

Edited to say: Notice that the same does not hold true for some series, of course. $10 Indians are an excellent example. Even MS-64s are expensive, but an MS-66 goes through the roof.

I was referring to a "type" example, i.e. the most common dates. In that regard, a 50% increase from MS-64 to MS-66 is VERY reasonable by comparison to many series. For example, you can get a common MS-64 Morgan for $70, but I'd say the cheapest MS-66 warrants a 300% increase in price.

OK, I wasn't aware of the costs in other series. But in ABSOLUTE terms, you are paying alot more for Saints or other gold coins because of their higher costs.

If a penny or nickel in MS-64 costs $5, it may be a big increase to pay $50 but it's still only $50. But try that with a medium-hard-to-get Saint where the cost rises from $1,400 in the lower grades to $2000 for MS-65 to $3,500 in MS-66. Big $$$ involved ! :grin:

A common MS-64 Mercury dime costs about ten bucks. Try to find an MS-66 for less than a 300% premium,

I believe you, this proves what I was saying.

Even a common buffalo nickel in MS-64 goes for $25 and is going to cost at least 100% more in MS-66.

Yup...again, the absolute $$$ involved aren't that large.

Edited to say: Notice that the same does not hold true for some series, of course. $10 Indians are an excellent example. Even MS-64s are expensive, but an MS-66 goes through the roof.

Yup, both in relative (%-terms) and absolute ($$$-terms). (thumbs u