• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A chance coin of a life time. posted by GrayWolf

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A 1910 Wheat Lincoln Penney, Class 5; Flip over...Double Strike.

One morning, over 35 years ago; I walked in to a coin store. To look around and to see if; I could find anything interesting.

After looking around, I asked the salesperson, about a lose-leaf ring book sitting on the counter; it was titled "FLAWS on the cover.He told me it contained coins, that had pieces missing; and to take a look at the coins within...

I look at coins, that had clips of missing from the coins, ripped metal; from the surface of the coins...and other problems with coins.

After turning many pages, I came a page; that had a 1910 wheat Penney. Looking at the coin just by the eye, it looked like a rip in Lincoln's beard...but just did not look right...like a real rip.

The coin was priced at just $0.10, i looked at many other coins; and found my self going back a few times...to re-look at that coin. Not finding anything else, took one last look at that penny; what do i have to lose...and i want to really look at the coin under magnification at home.

I took the coin out of the book, brought it to the salesperson; and paid for the coin...and left the store, to go home; and really look at the coin.

When I got home, I put the coin on table; and took care of other things...including lunch.

When I finally got a chance to look at the coin, with magnification; and I did a double look...what I was seeing, was not a rip in Lincoln's beard; it was a tare...a wheat tare. there was other marks on the obverse side of the coin. When I turned the coin over to the reverse...

What I saw, made me drop my jaw..I was kooking at...

Was Lincoln image, over the reverse side of the coin; in proper rotation.

What must have happened, at the time of the coin; was made. Was there was no new blank coin to trigger the ejection the the coin just made by the dies...cussing the coin to flip over, being re-struck.

I went back to the coin store, in the afternoon; when the owner was working.

I went up to him, and said, I have a coin; you might like to look at. He asked to see it, so I hand him the coin; and he get really excited...and says he will give me $90.00, for the coin; is that o'k?.

I said that would be fine, he gives me $90.00; and tells me what the coin's classification...then it hits him, to ask me; where did i get the coin?

I tell him about finding it, in the flaw book; and he looks at his partner. Then he tells me, they go through so many coins; sometimes somethings slips through...that our transaction, was o'k; that $90.00 was a good lesson for them...remind them to be more careful.

Looking back, I made a good return, but; just how much was that coin worth? To this day I can still, shake my head; and laugh.

See more journals by GrayWolf