• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan 1889-CC

11 posts in this topic

I have been looking at this one for some time now at the local auction.

I cant see it in hand only sellers bad pictures.

What do you think fair price/grade??

2c2541ff-133a-4336-84f7-8fee36097613_zps2a5e362a.jpg

9492529d-e5e1-4b27-8b26-479752f4f47e_zps631735ab.jpg

The numbers in the date are not evenly spaced. It's another of long line of Chinese counterfeits.

If you want buy key date coins, and don't know how to spot counterfeits, buy coins that have been certified by NGC or PCGS.

That was my problem too the date was off.

i know its best to buy certified coins but where i live there is none only raw coins :frustrated:

thanks alot

That was my problem too the date was off.

i know its best to buy certified coins but where i live there is none only raw coins :frustrated:

thanks alot

You need to hook up with a reliable dealer on the Internet. You might pay a bit more; I can't help you with the negociations; but paying a bit more is better than buying a worthless counterfiet.

I have a good connect on Raw Key date morgans if u would like his Ebay Name

Would you have any hesitation about purchasing raw key date coins on Ebay (or any other such venue) not being graded, if problem free (regardless of the Grade), in this day and age?

I am still looking to add the last coin to my Grandfather's 1889 Birthyear set,

which just so happens to be the CC Dollar.

My immediate reaction to the image was : " I never noticed the date positioned like that"

... it's got to be a fake...

These counterfeits are ruining the hobby - imagine shelling out many thousands of

Dollars only to discover you've got a $20 fake coin. ( assuming the coin is actually silver ).

Best to buy one already certified and from a reliable dealer or auction house.

The only other problem now is, fake PCGS plastic holders. Not long ago, I looked at a 1901-S Quarter which looked 100% genuine but the case looked off. Seems both were fake.

The influx of rare - key date coins is extremely discouraging.