• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More new Silver Eagles posted by gotagofish

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

When is it gonna stop

2013 has come and most Silver Eagles have been issued. There again another new one. I remember when I just bought 2 or 3 each year to stay current.. Now I must buy 8 or 10 and hope I got all the new ones out in 69 and 70 to fill my sets. My 2006 Reverse Proof was the only one of its kind and now we are getting bombed by them every year. When will it all end?

gotagofish >")))))><

14216.jpg

See more journals by gotagofish

It won't end as log as the U.S. Mint can sell 200,000 to 300,000 or more special sets to American Silver Eagle (ASE) Collectors and make money. That said, I buy some ASE coins that I like. I realize there are far too many ASE coins in perfect or near perfect condition to really hold their long term value, but some are nicer looking than others. I like the new Enhanced Finish ASE.

If you really want to collect rare and interesting U.S. coins I would suggest Classic Commemorative Half Dollars (1892-1954) and not ASE. In most cases the mintage is under 100,000 for each coin and in some cases under 30,000.

As mv pointed out, it won't end until we stop buying everything the Mint produces. I started buying commemoratives when they started the "modern" series with the 1982 Washington halves. A few years later, they were releasing commemoratives by the dozen every year. I quitbuying them in the early 90's (except for a very few that were interesting for personal reasons) and haven't missed them.

The Mint is in the collectible business to make money, not to please customers. If happy customers are a byproduct of making money, that's OK too, but profit is their primary objective.

As mv pointed out, it won't end until we stop buying everything the Mint produces. I started buying commemoratives when they started the "modern" series with the 1982 Washington halves. A few years later, they were releasing commemoratives by the dozen every year. I quitbuying them in the early 90's (except for a very few that were interesting for personal reasons) and haven't missed them.

The Mint is in the collectible business to make money, not to please customers. If happy customers are a byproduct of making money, that's OK too, but profit is their primary objective.

I respectfully disagree with the later part of the sentence. I think the mint is trying to please customers by offering variety. You'll never please everyone, as we all have our preferences. I do believe they are also trying to make money, and IMO, there's nothing wrong with that. I've received numerous surveys from the Mint asking about everything from coin quality, to packaging quality, to secured shipping.

IMO, the Australian and Canadian mints go WAY further in producing so many coins, series, etc...it makes the U.S. Mint offerings look down right scarce. For transparency purposes, I do purchase the Maple Leaf Privy's, the $20 for $20 and one series from the Canadian Mint. I also started collecting the Kookaburra series from the Australian Mint.