• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Might this Frankie make 65FBL?

11 posts in this topic

I'll wait for Jason to chime in on this one as he's our local Franklin expert... not that Mark isn't!!

I'm suspecting it would not make it at either of the top two TPG's.

This would probably grade MS64FBL at PCGS, it might lose the FBL at NGC.

You do not want to see a reeding mark so prominently placed by Franklin's face on an MS65. The bottom lines are solid; the top, somewhat wavy.

I see what I perceive to be weakness in both the upper and lower bell lines, so I would be surprised to see it receive a FBL designation at either PCGS or NGC. Grading wise, I would like to be able to assess the luster to make a better estimation of grade. If the luster is all there, I could see this potentially making it into a 65 holder. If not, it looks MS64 or so to me.

This coin was already in an NGC MS64FBL holder.

I dipped it to clean it up because it was hazy.

Now it has nice luster.

The coin is extremly hit free and 1 little bag mark shouldnt stop it from a 65.

Seems there is always a different set of rules for the coins that are higher in the price guides.

Heres a PCGS MS65,with a green bean! no less,that has a giant ax wound right smack dab in the middle of the coin on the cheek,not to mention all the other marks and scuffs.

How does this rate a 65? Gimme a break.Seems that if you have a high dollar price guide coin that you need a coin that looks 67 just to eeek out a 65.

Not to disparage anyones opinions,I appreciate them.

62PoriginalSlab.jpg

PCGSMS65coin.jpg

PCGSMS65.jpg

This coin was already in an NGC MS64FBL holder.

I dipped it to clean it up because it was hazy.

Now it has nice luster.

The coin is extremly hit free and 1 little bag mark shouldnt stop it from a 65.

Seems there is always a different set of rules for the coins that are higher in the price guides.

Heres a PCGS MS65,with a green bean! no less,that has a giant ax wound right smack dab in the middle of the coin on the cheek,not to mention all the other marks and scuffs.

How does this rate a 65? Gimme a break.Seems that if you have a high dollar price guide coin that you need a coin that looks 67 just to eeek out a 65.

Not to disparage anyones opinions,I appreciate them.

There are many coins in both NGC and PCGS holders, which are very "high dollar price guide" examples and which are low end, at best, for the assigned grade.

I am not a collector of this series so take my comments as my opinion only. I think the FBL on the 64 grade was a gift and I have doubts that it would again at NGC, the lower bands look good enough that it might at PCGS. As to the grade in the pics the 1961 you posted has intense luster and a very strong strike which carried the coin to the 65 grade despite the harsh hits/scuffs. In the pic you posted of your coin the luster looks low, this may be the way it looks in hand or just a factor of the pic, only you know as you have the coin to tilt and view. If the luster is strong then I think you have a shot at 65.

I don't think the 1962 in the first post is a 65, and I don't think it is a FBL.

I think it will grade 64, all day every day. The mark in front of his nose automatically knocks it out of 65 for me. I think it would get FBL at PCGS (but, I do not consider their standard acceptable). The bottom set of lines looks full and complete, but the top set does not. In hand, or with better pictures, I may be convinced otherwise.

The 62 in MS-65FBL is an incredibly rare coin, and is very difficult to find. It is second only to the 53S. Good luck, but I don't think your current coin has what it takes.