• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEED HELP AGAIN posted by Eagles-R-it

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

VIEW THESE COINS

Hi, just bought these coins today. They are awfully soiled, it even comes off on your hands. The Peace dollar with the "X" on it is scotch tape, it is a very nice coin if I can get the tape residue off, plus on the other side is mold like spots. The Morgans are just grimmy, and like I said it comes off in your hands. How can I spruce them up abit? The one Morgan and one Peace are very nice, in fact the one Morgan still has the sheen/luster of a uncirculated coin, and all the details are nice. The one Peace with the "X" is very nice, but only on one side.

Can anyone give me advice. I now it's not right to "clean" coins but these are really awfull.

I will post the opposite sides next.

14174.JPG

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

Advice: Hold on to the coins until silver is above what you paid. When that time comes, get rid of them for a small profit. They aren't worth wasting your time/money cleaning or sending to NCS.

Or, if you've seen Dumb and Dumber, you could hock them to the blind kid down the street. Don't worry I'm not sick... just a movie reference. In no way, shape or form do I recommend doing the latter.

they appear to be the most common dates that exist--the 1881-S and 1921 Morgan and the 1922 Peace dollars...so definitely don't spend money on them--NCS is more per coin than the values.

The tape residue Peace dollar--use some 100% pure acetone "Polish Remover"--you'll find it in the drugstore where the fingernail polish remover is...

The other 1922 and the 1921 Morgan--if they are tacky or have residue as you say--soft soap with cold/warm water then dab dry with soft cloth ( don't rub of course)..the 1921 may also be a dipping candidate--strictly for aesthetics ( and dipping is not usually considered damage like abrasion, whizzing, scrubbing is)

The 1881-S...I'd leave as is or maybe a light rinse with warm water and dabbed dry with a non-abrasive cloth or blow-dryer...

That is in answer to your question about sprucing them up.......show pictures of the results please....

PS: after looking at the reverse...definitely don't dip any of the 3 circulated coins--they'd be horrible with the flat look of the silver when circulated coins are dipped--worse yet, maybe that artificially shiny look...

Still would use the acetone on the 1922 with stains and tape residue--it's really the only hope without eating the metal..

I would recommend a soak in alcohol and/or gasoline followed by cleaning with a soft cloth. Acetone is more aggressive and I would use it only if the other solvents don't improve the appearances.

I agree with previous responses that I wouldn't put a lot of time into them.

If you use acetone it has to be the purer kind you get at a Home Depot or a hardware store- NOT nail polish remover version of acetone. That is not as pure and hasadditives you do not want anywhere near a coin The right stuff comes in a metal can, the wrong acetone comes in a plastic bottle.

The tape residue Peace dollar I would wrap in a paper towel and place it in a room I never plan on entering again.....MAILMAN
:signfunny:

I made sure to state "100% pure acetone"--it is still sometimes referred to as "polish remover" and is available at rite aid or CVS.........