• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Discipline by Electric Peak Collection

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

For once I held back.

I've been writing for some time now that I really need to slow down with the coin buying. (Last year, we made some major renovations to the exterior of our house, and I want to pay off the new debt by the end of 2014.) But up to and including the latest Baltimore show, I've been spending quite a bit on the half dime set.

The current Heritage auction included (in a Thursday session) about a dozen nice half dimes that I would normally consider pursuing. I put in low bids just for 'my bids' tracking purposes. I could delay debt pay-off in order to get one or two, but I restrained myself and let them all go.

In the end, all of them sold for more than I would have been willing to pay (though a couple were close...), so I would have come up empty anyway. But now I'm faced with the prospect that similar coins won't be getting any cheaper.

Although I have nothing new and exciting to show, I have a few that are almost new, and are exciting, to me anyway. Here's one I got earlier this year. At first glance, it looks like a bit of a mess, with die polish lines, multiple sets of clash marks, and die cracks. But it is actually quite nice in hand. It is NGC graded MS 66 star, with combined NGC/PCGS population 15/1. Enjoy.

14146.jpg

See more journals by Electric Peak Collection

That's some serious die clashing. I have a couple of Bust halves with more severe clashing, but nothing like this on smaller coins. Really adds character to this one.

I seem to be in the middle of a coin buying/ebay spasm myself. After adding up all my buys for the last 60 days I found I have spent $500! To some that may not be much, but I'm retired on $1000 a month. It's true I have practically no bills, but still that's a pretty good chunk of my income. Let's see if I can find some discipline and say No now. :tonofbricks: