• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who else would like to see an expanded return of the black Retro Holder? posted by Mohawk

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Just a little thought that I've had recently.......

I've been thinking about this recently. I have so many coins that would just look wonderful in that black core Retro holder......it's just a shame that they only offered it for a few US Moderns for such a limited time. This is the first journal I've written on here, and it might be the last but I thought I'd take the temperature of the community on this issue. My ideal situation would be one where submitters could choose between a black or white core when they send their coins for grading. I wouldn't even mind if I had to pay a little more for it or if I had to send coins in a particular tier to get the black/white option. Hopefully, I'll get some responses from the community on this, and I also hope that the kind people at NGC take notice of this journal and the responses and give my little idea some consideration.

See more journals by Mohawk

Thanks for your reply Wells! I agree with you completely. Silver coins do look amazing in the black holders! I also think that platinum and gold coins would really pop as well. I got this year's platinum eagle, and that's actually what got me started on this train of thought.......that coin would just look majestic in the black holder!

I agree with Amarillo Elite members should have the option of getting the black label without having to send in a bulk submission like it is now. I sure cant afford to send in a 100 coin order of the same coin in order to get the black label. however I don't see NGC changing its ways on the black label.

Happy collecting and may God Bless...Mike

I have a couple SAEs in the retro-black and they do look great. (thumbs u But one thing I have noticed though is that if there is any imperfection like smudges, prints, or scratches...inside or outside of the holder...the black does highlight them more then the traditional white.

Jeffrey

I am in agreement with Mohawk...I would love to be able to have a choice between a black or white insert. I would even pay a little more to procure the black holder. It is such a classic and classy look. I would love to put red Lincoln cents in them. The red copper against the black would be such a sharp and striking contrast. Silver, gold, and nickel would be beautiful as well. I would like to see world coins in the black holder option as well. I collect a great deal of coins from the Netherlands, as I consider it to be a specialty of mine. This would be a great and potentially profitable option for NGC to ponder.

Thank you all who have responded!! I see that I am not alone on this thought.......which makes me quite happy!! Now I'm hoping that the kind folks at NGC see this thread, preferably once it gets even more responses, and gives this idea some consideration. I mean, we all pay our membership dues, and we pay to have our coins graded.......I don't see why the black holder shouldn't be available to us all! I know that many of us don't send in 100 coins at once or anything like that, but I think if we all looked at the money we spend with NGC in a year, it'd be significant for many of us. I think that all NGC members should have all these options open to us!

Thank you all who have responded!! I see that I am not alone on this thought.......which makes me quite happy!! Now I'm hoping that the kind folks at NGC see this thread, preferably once it gets even more responses, and gives this idea some consideration. I mean, we all pay our membership dues, and we pay to have our coins graded.......I don't see why the black holder shouldn't be available to us all! I know that many of us don't send in 100 coins at once or anything like that, but I think if we all looked at the money we spend with NGC in a year, it'd be significant for many of us. I think that all NGC members should have all these options open to us!

Instead of "hoping that the kind folks at NGC see this thread, preferably once it gets even more responses, and gives this idea some consideration", why not contact NGC directly, ask and even direct them to this thread?

You're absolutely right Mark! I need to be more proactive on this. I already have some opinions from community members.....and this seems like a popular idea. But I have a question for you, as you have much more experience on the message board/journal side of things here. What would be the best way for me to call this to NGC's attention? Should I post this somewhere else such as the Ask NGC section of the Message Boards or should I email them directly? What do you, or anyone else, think would be the best way to get in contact with them regarding this?

You're absolutely right Mark! I need to be more proactive on this. I already have some opinions from community members.....and this seems like a popular idea. But I have a question for you, as you have much more experience on the message board/journal side of things here. What would be the best way for me to call this to NGC's attention? Should I post this somewhere else such as the Ask NGC section of the Message Boards or should I email them directly? What do you, or anyone else, think would be the best way to get in contact with them regarding this?

I would just call, ask for customer service, (very) briefly explain your request and ask to be put in touch with the right person. Best of luck.