• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mercury dime- already slabbed, GTG

31 posts in this topic

Mark,

I'm clearly aware that the written standards of any TPG do not necessarily translate into the reality of the end product. Some times they miss. This is of course the fodder of many threads.

My thanks to yonico and Brandon was based upon bringing me a clearer understanding of the written standards of NGC and PCGS. Again, I'm aware that written standards do not accurately reflect attributions by any TPG.

I disagree with your statement "It's inevitable and understandable and not a knock on grading companies. If you look at enough "FB" Mercury Dimes-even NGC ones- you will see a good number of them which do not display fully split and/or rounded bands."

It is inexcusable that any market making entity not to adhere to clearly defined parameters that they themselves have published.

After all, if we look to the TPG s to define a specific attribute of a coin, and our money is connected to that attribution, the standard defined by the TPG should be consistent and reliable.

Don Quixote

"Don",

We will have to agree to disagree. I believe that you might have unrealistic expectations with respect to the application of "clearly defined parameters". Sometimes it's not nearly as easy as it might sound to determine whether a particular coin meets those parameters.