• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1876 Indian Head Cent--What is up with the date?

13 posts in this topic

very interesting coin

1-------------------could it be a really rare contemporary counterfeit hm

2------ is it a recent chinese counterfeit hm

3---- altered date on a genuine coin hm

unless i am so tired tonight i cant see straight

but i am sure the experts will chime in

When minted, this year was thoroughly circulated and so examples found today are usually well worn. There were no varieties this year but a great many were struck with oil or water contamination causing a lack of detail.

There are counterfeits for this year but I think it's authentic but one affected by contamination.

It will be interesting to hear more advanced collectors chime in as the "6" looks way off to me.

Here is a "for certain" ("certified by Bill") genuine piece you can use for comparisons. I've had "a thing" for this date since high school because it was one year away from glory.

1876CentO_zps6b5d735e.jpg1876CentR_zpse82d879e.jpg

1876CentDate_zps0628940a.jpg

Back in the 1960s Hewitt published a booklet that was a reprint from the "Numismatic Scrapbook" magazine that was about Indian Cent Date Varieties by Otto C. Steinberger. For what it's worth he stated that there were two date varieties of 1876 cents. I wish there were photos of these varieites in the booklet, but there are none.

Using his descriptions, the piece that started this thread looks like Captain Steinberger's variety #1, and my piece looks like variety #2.

Yep, fake. Long before this year the mint had standarized their date logotype, The dates on all the coins of a given year would be the same style differing only in size. Placement of the dates on each die could differ but not the style. So if you had two coins with different style dates, one was a fake. (Sometimes through the use of the wrong date punch you might have a series with large and small dates, but the date style would be the same.) This standardization took place sometime in the 1850's

No matter, I contacted the seller from Paypal and requested a refund for the coin and he refunded me. It came with a couple common cull looking cents so I paid him a buck for those but was refunded the rest. He probably didn't know it was fake.

No matter, I contacted the seller from Paypal and requested a refund for the coin and he refunded me. It came with a couple common cull looking cents so I paid him a buck for those but was refunded the rest. He probably didn't know it was fake.

Might I suggest that you keep an eye on the seller's listings to see if it reappears, or if he lists any other suspicious coins?

There are many people quietly selling Chinese fakes into the American market via eBay. He may be one of them. If you see anything suspicious post a link to it here, and some of us will check him out.