• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainbow 1951-S Washington Quarter posted by 00001AAA Coins

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC 1951-S MS 67 STAR (*) Rainbow Washington Quarter

I realize the 2013 W American Eagle Set is all the rage in the Coin World right now. I'm fine with that. Since there were more than 250,000 sets manufactured there will always be the option to acquire a perfect NGC 70 set in the future at a better price than today.

What I like to find is quality nicely toned Pre-1965 U.S. coins. The are a number of such quality coins out there and they come up for sale in a variety of locations. I prefer the rainbow toned coins with either a full circle or a nice crescent. This 1951-S quarter has a nice crescent rainbow on both sides. Yes a coin can have too much toning, but with the right amount I think it adds interest and value. Just my opinion as blast white coins are still popular too with many. I suspect at this point most of the nicely toned rainbow 1950's quarters have been sent off for grading, but I keep looking both for raw coins and certified coins.

14065.jpg

See more journals by 00001AAA Coins

An early quarter in star grade is always a nice find.

I'm a bright white guy myself but I also like the gold/russet color toning on some coins. The reds on this one are nice also.

Congrats on a nice find!

Michael

I agree 100% with your ASE set statement. The ASE craze epitomizes a lot of what I don't like about the coin collecting community. I'll spend the money on a nice example of a classic coin, but paying premiums for a modern coin (in an age where the mint has manufacturing perfect coins down to a science) with a high mintage is beyond me. I don't mean to put down anyone's collecting goals/enjoyments.

On a different topic, if you like toned coins, check out some of mine. I also keep my eye out on various dealer websites, looking for uniquely toned coins (usually Walkers). As I started my Walker sets, I did not set out to collect solely toned/star coins, but they are certainly turning out that way. I'm sure you know about Eye Appealing Coins and their colorful inventory. If not, take a look.

There's a seller on E-Bay who frequents these boards named Kryptonitecomics (Shane) he is a major player on E-Bay and often has great, high grade examples of many issues to select from. His current offering can be seen by clicking the link in the Marketplace section. He takes great photographs for his consignors so you get what you see.

I agree 00001AAA Coins, toned high grade coins are ( to me) a better option than the perfectly created mint issues that will never see circulation.

Welcome to the forum gentlemen!!

I'll spend the money on a nice example of a classic coin, but paying premiums for a modern coin (in an age where the mint has manufacturing perfect coins down to a science) with a high mintage is beyond me.

I'm sorry but this comment is not grounded in reality. Assuming by "the mint" you mean the United States Mint, "the mint" most definitely does NOT have manufacturing so-called "perfect" coins down to a science. Anyone who examines even moderate quantities of United States Mint collector coin output knows from direct experience that quality varies markedly.

Don't believe me? Order 100 2013-D 5-Star Generals Uncirculated Clad Half-Dollar coins from the United States Mint web site right now. When they arrive, examine them. Try finding even one that approaches what you term "perfect." Good luck.

United States Mint production quality control is, in my experience over the past ten years, indifferent. Not every collector piece is a 70. Not even 69 in many cases. For certain issues, such as the one cited above, quality is in fact deplorable.

When reading NGC/PCGS graded population reports you need to remember these numbers are skewed by the fact most submissions are prefiltered and therefore biased toward higher grades. Bulk submissions explicitly exclude lower graded specimens from being encapsulated and, therefore, from the population. Graded population reports are NOT an indicator of actual quality distribution in the overall minted population.

Before making gross generalizations about a subject, it's important to do some homework and actually learn the facts. Hyperbole and 30,000 foot AGL commentary help no one.

Beijim