• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DPL Images - Opinions please

12 posts in this topic

I'm trying a few things. How does this DPL Morgan image look?

Comments and criticism PLEASE. The goal is to get better.

90f4a408-d803-4dd4-8707-e5840dcaa582.jpg

Too dark.

I disagree. Todd (blu62vette) is very good at photographing DMPL Morgans, and if you look at most of his photos, you will note that the fields always appear dark because of the mirrors.

I really like the DMPL's, but what I hate most about images of them is that they tend to show every little dink & ding on the coins. It's unfortunate because in-hand, the coins don't look anywhere near as bad.

Chris

Is the coin as yellow as it appears in the pictures?

The obverse appears slightly out of focus, especially at the top.

How many lights are you using? It looks like only one - you need at least 2, and preferably 3.

Is this coin raw, or in a slab? Raw coins are much easier to photograph - but DMPL's are going to be hard no matter what you do. Good start!

Ok for Chris. The reason I say too dark is because the lighting angle is wrong. The fields being dark should be that way if it's a true dmpl. I also agree with Jason in that it looks like one light unless you used two, one at 9 and one at 3. Try 10 and 2 and raise the angle of the lights. Sorry for my short nondescript first response.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Jason, no the coin is not yellow at all. I bought these new Jansjo lights ( love them) and was told to diffuse them with a Kleenex. I forgot to readjust my white balance after attaching the Kleenex.

The top of the coin looking out of focus is due to a scratched up slab. I've tried to buff it out with some Meguiar's polish but it's being stubborn. NGC slab - Graded 63 DPL.

The original pictures were taken with 1 light using the axial method. This set of images was taken with 2 lights, diffused (white balance adjusted this time :makepoint: ) and at a high angle.

041cfaa0-197b-4ed6-b1c4-77753e81621c.jpg

This set was taken with only ambient room lighting. I slowed the shutter speed down to 1 second to allow enough light in.

fc25649e-99d6-407c-a9b7-f5c7d8956ae7.jpg

Thoughts?

Mike,

This image is quite nice. (thumbs u

The other two are either too dark or too diffused. I really like this one though.

Mike,

This image is quite nice. (thumbs u

The other two are either too dark or too diffused. I really like this one though.

I agree. This is much better than your first attempt. These are really good pictures here.

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'm heading in the right direction.

Brandon - I'm loving the Jansjo's, they are so much easier to work with than my old setup. Thanks again for the Tip (thumbs u

Next up.......Color!

i dont know about the images

but the last set of photos shows the coin as a REALLY nice!! coin :cloud9:

in hand i bet it has a killer cameo and great eye appeal