• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading supplemental information MS63* (star)ect. need info!

8 posts in this topic

I see some Morgan coins with supplemental information Next to the MS# Like MS63 * (star) Some one was allready kind enough to help me with the star but Does any one have a list of the the supplemental information that might be put next to the grad with the meaning?

Thanks

David

What other types of things have you seen? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

NGC will put a W next to the grade of silver coins that they believe to be white, or untoned, and they had at one point put a T next to the grade of coins that they felt were toned. There are also prooflike designators, though I don't know if they use PL (prooflike) and DMPL (deep mirror prooflike) as PCGS does. Sometimes they will also put a pedigree on the holder, though this is usually just worthless, as far as I am concerned. Anything else?

Proff Like

Which bascially means it is a Mint State (MS) type coin that has Proff qualities. It appears to look like a proff coin although it is not. Usually commands a premium. Unless it is certified by NGC/PCGS don't make that assumption on your own, coins can be buffed and polished to give this affect, and an untrained eye cannot usually detect the difference.

Most of these end up on either Morgan Dollars or Proof coins. Also there may be prior ownership history. For me, coins that are labeled because they were in someone's Set Registry collection doesn't add to the value and in one collection just sold really lowers it because I know the coins were in cases conserved. For morgans the only difference between services is NGC calls deeply mirrored surfaces with clear reflection greater than I'd guess around 6" DPL, whereas PCGS calls the same surface DMPL and one Legendary dealer implies that they apparently require 8" of clear reflectivity. DPL and DMPL Morgan's that are conditionally rare can be as much as 15X the value or more as their PL and frosty counterparts in the same grade.

Tom I think NGC didcontinued putting "W" on silver coins several years ago - Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, this is true. I don't remember the exact year NGC stopped using the 'W' for white coins, but I do remember them stopping it a few years ago.

John