• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS63 star???

4 posts in this topic

star means exceptional eye appeal the coin could be overgraded

or

low end for the grade

or

undergraded or solid for the grade

all this star means is that when the graders ALL THE GRADERS agreed it had exceptional eye appeal for the issue and also the finalizer who looked at the coin agreed too if ONLY one disagrees then the coin does not get the star

most star coins i see are exceptional eye appealling coins but i must say as of late i have seen many star coins that are NOT exceptionally eye appealling and at best an average coin

eye appeal is the most subjective of the designations the service gives it is a good thing but like everything else it is in the eye of the beholder i have seen coins that have the star that are monsters and others that are ugly to me and some that have no star designation and are total monster star coins to me

the star is a great thing IF and when a coin is a total exceptionally eye appealling coin

and the above is my understanding in reading many posts by the ngc graders and finalizers and talking to the people at ngc

and AGAIN THE STAR IS ONLY AWARDED FOR EXCEPTIONAL EYE

it has nothing to do with a coins grade

michael

here is a yay.gifSTAR DESIGNATED NGC yay.gif coin

a legend obverse halfdime the first legend obverse business strike halfdime awarded the star by ngc

and in person is strongly prooflike and cameoed too flamed.gif

a truly monster eye appealling coin in person sight seen yay.gif

screwy.gifmichael screwy.gif

ascrewy.gifcollector

596739-1860halfdime.jpg.38279a6130260f472f668cb6b0cf20cc.jpg