• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toned Morgan FS

16 posts in this topic

I have this toned 1881-S Morgan, graded MS64 by ANACS.

This Morgan is really sweet looking and has very reflective surfaces.

I am asking $250.00 including shipping.

I am offering a 10 return policy.

I will accept paypal(+fees, sorry), Money orders, or personal checks (i send coin when check clears).

Thanks for looking, any questions, feel free to ask

138597.jpg.2e0f8943d644dacbbaccb1184deb63ee.jpg

138598.jpg.5760defd1162d24f1ed00a9e75dd5d34.jpg

138599.jpg.5ae0c7e64ed39ce1d571d6633daf4fab.jpg

138600.jpg.52cff3f4d6984cda66de98f3929ba475.jpg

138601.jpg.3d79b687a027468f2036377acc6f1065.jpg

Is that a fingerprint to the left of the bridge of Liberty's nose? Or is that just a glare from the light on the slab?

Edited to add: The picture in question is picture #4.

Appears to be a fingerprint on the slab. I have it in hand and don't see it. The pictures were taken when I bought the coin a couple years ago...want me to put up new ones?

I don't mind people asking questions, to me that's not hijacking.

Thanks for your opinions though

Edited: coindude: do you mind me asking why you feel that way? What about it gives you that impression?

I think I see what Coindude is talking about. Does the color start on the left side of the coin at the rim and work it's way through to the middle of the coin? It's very hard to tell by the pictures provided. The angle and the glare on the slab make it difficult to see the progression of the toning. From what I've read and researched, toning starts on the rims and works it's way to the center of the coin(in the case of album toned coins). For end of roll toning, the colors would start more towards the bust and be more of a circular pattern. Of course, better images would also yield different opinions too!

I would call it terminal state toning and don't see any red flags.....but I'm no expert either.

I'd send it to NGC and hope for a bump in grade and even if it came back the same, people would feel more comfortable paying a premium for toning in a top tier slab.

To me the colors are just unnatural and there is no tone shift on the lettering which is standard on the Morgan dollars.

Are you referring to what other collectors sometimes call "elevation chromatics"? The photographs are a bit hard to see but I think I see evidence of this and even maybe some pull away toning. I think the coin is probably NT. It is worth cracking out and sending in to NGC or PCGS in my opinion.

Sorry, guys, I'm not good with photographs. I'm not sure what I will do. If nobody wants to buy, I may crack it out.....

Thanks for all the feedback even though its not really the correct forum

Nick