• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1878-CC SLQ Grade Revealed in 1st Post

11 posts in this topic

In a problem-free NGC holder. Grades/comments welcome. Thank you.

Many of you were right on the money! I really liked the look of this one in the Heritage images and should have it in-hand next week. Thanks for all the posts! Link to the auction is provided here if you want to look. She went for $317 w/juice. HA.com link

1878-CCslab_zps3513cc9c.jpg

1878-CCobv_zpsb6f5babf.jpg1878-CCrev_zps110337a2.jpg

Nice!

CC to top it all off with too.

MS62 ...Figured they would have hit it up for that what looks like 'Environmental Damage' around the star on the left... Probably just the picture.

I'm probably low but I have no idea what kind of luster you have going on there. But the fingers look good on the left hand, breast, head... all look detailed to me.

I would grade this coin AU-55. If there is a bit more luster than I see in the photo, it might make AU-58, but that would be a stretch. There is a definite rub on the high points which takes it out of the MS category.

The luster appears to be so-so, partly because the coin has dull toning. I would not advocate dipping this piece, but this is an example of the type of appearance that encourages dipping to improve the eye appeal in the opinion of some collectors. It might also catch a low end MS grade if it were to be dipped and submitted during a lax grading period. Those of you have been collecting certified coins for a while know what I mean about "lax grading periods."

Those of you have been collecting certified coins for a while know what I mean about "lax grading periods."

Make sure to let me know when that is please. I have a few that could use the help. ;)

Those of you have been collecting certified coins for a while know what I mean about "lax grading periods."
Make sure to let me know when that is please. I have a few that could use the help. ;)
Well.... it isn't right now!

Quite often it seems to occur when the coin market is red hot and the grading services are getting lots of submissions. When people are "desperate" to buy coins, at least some of them seem to become less fussy and optimistically grading coins seem to slip through. When the market tightens, it often seems that grades does also, at least that's what I have seen through the years.