• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE IMAGING SETUP:5; The Light Source. posted by The Artist's Collection

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Surfaces and dimensionality elucidate the coin for honest coin photos.

The empirical elucidation of a coin depends on the extent of 3-dimensional and and 2-dimensional depiction combined through the use of two light sources.

Two sources of illumination combine to bring 3-D sculptural depth with 2-D surface depiction. Thus one has the means to accurately depict a coins reality without resorting slight of illusory, visual computer trickery.

Positioning the upper and lower light sources frontally, direct or laterally, indirect

can reveal surface color and blemishes with life-like, device relief.

One flood-light source above for overall coverage and one spot-light source from the bottom or side combine whole coin details for objective truth.

Remember light sources are adjustable and should remain behind the lens & hood casting no stray light on camera, lens, or operator but solely on the coin.

See more journals by The Artist's Collection

I photograph my coins in a down and dirty fashion. In less than 5 minutes per coin.

I have no special equipment and a cheap camera but my images rival those with expensive set ups and cameras.

I use a macro setting and a piece of white paper taped over the flash to diffuse the light. Other than that I only edit my images for size (cropping out what I don't want). I never enhance the image digitally.