• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new Toned Mercury Dime and Toned Roosevelt Dime! Yay! With Pictures

12 posts in this topic

Got the Roosie on Friday and the Merc yesterday smile.gif The Mercury wins for one of the biggest pains to shoot through a slab. Both grade MS66, the merc by NGC, the roosie by PCGS.

45_n66_obv.jpg

45_n66_rev.jpg

To show the color a bit better, albeit it had to include a glare 893frustrated.gif

45_n66_obv2.jpg

45_n66_obv3.jpg

45_n66_rev1.jpg

...and the Roosie!

Weird but neat obverse:

49d_p66_obv.jpg

Super-sweet Reverse!

49d_p66_rev.jpg

Since the lustre shows only some of the color, here's a view of the color all the way around:

49d_p66_rev1.jpg

Enjoy!

Jeremy smile.gif

People,

Jeremy showed that roosie to me yesterday, and let me tell you it looks 10x better in hand! I think it looks better when seen at actual size because the white areas don’t look as large. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The reverse on that coin is gorgeous! Great coin Jeremy! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

John

Like I asked across the street: When did you discover that the best picture for the tone on a coin is the one with the glare dead center? I hate that! 893frustrated.gif

Also, I think the Merc is a bit overgraded. The mark on the cheek lowers the grade, IMO. NGC kicked it up a bit because of the color. Nice coin though...

jom

The toning on the obverse of the Roosie is what I've called "flow line toning." It seems to follow the pattern of flow lines on the coin. I have a number of Roosies that have similar toning and it's pretty cool. Nice finds.

Hoot

They're really attractive coins. I agree that the Merc seems overgraded as it has a bit chippy obverse that should limit the coin to something below MS66. The Roosevelt looks accurately graded.

It's funny, I only had to see the top third of the obverse of the Roosevelt to know it was a '49-D, they come that way with some frequency.

Both coins are beautiful. thumbsup2.gif

It's funny, I only had to see the top third of the obverse of the Roosevelt to know it was a '49-D,

Really? Now why would that be? Too weird...

jom

Just to make a point... how much larger is the picture than the coin? That makes the mark look a whole lot bigger than it is.

Well...yes and no. The mark is bigger but it is still the same relative size when compared to the cheek. There are also some hairlines on the cheek too.

Like all grading with photos it is very difficult but I see time and time again where a coin is bumped a grade due to color. I'm not sure it is a bad as it used to be but I see coins like this all the time.

jom