• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show Report: Parsippany, NJ (Garden State Coin Show)

8 posts in this topic

Since I haven't been to a coin show since the end of July (and missed the ANA), I was really looking forward to this show. It's got around 80 dealers and there were no empty tables today. Usually, I spend a lot of time with TomB (who normally has a table) and DaveG. Today, though, neither was there frown.gif

I went looking for some nice toned coins, as well as an uncirculated large cent. The toned stuff is usually easier to find than it was today, and one of the dealers who usually has some in albums had nothing. After a little while, I was able to find a couple, but didn't really spend too much. The large cents, too, we basically not there. I found a few really ugly raw ones, and an 1853 ANACS MS62BN, but for $250, I would have wanted a much nicer coin--it was relatively clean, but neither glossy or showing any lustre. An easy pass for me.

I spent a good deal of time talking/walking with John Wihlborg. He showed me some fantastic commems, including his new Norfolk in MS67 with some beautiful color. Also, I spent some time talking with sToner (PCGS Boards)--I showed him a lot of my toners, and was able to help him gain the confidence to buy a toned CC morgan (can't remember the date) in PCGS MS64. It was a semi-PL with really nice toning (not electric) on both sides. A hint of textile was visable, too.

Right before I left, I headed to one dealers table to see two coins. The first was a toned 1921 morgan. While the toning was nice, and for a toned coin, it wasn't expensive, the little warning in my head said it could be AT with a few small splotches of color that were hard to see, but just didn't look right. Last time I ignored that, I was lucky I was able to return the coin. This time, I listened to my brain smile.gif. From the dealer, though, I did get a beautiful 1945 mercury dime in NGC MS66. It has a rainbow on both sides, and good lustre, especially on the reverse.

One other interesting thing... when I was looking for a proof indian head cent, Mark Feld was looking out for me. After a few months (in December 2003), Pinnacle got in three, and he sent them to me to look at. I took one and sent back the other two. I am 95% sure I saw one of the two at the show today. The color was really difference and I really think it's the same one. Just a neat little anecdote smile.gif

So, while I didn't find much that I was looking for, and the show wasn't as good as usual, it still wasn't a total loss. Now, though, I can be sure I'll have the money for the coin I bid on in the Superior sale wink.gif.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

My take on the show is about the same as yours. The show seemed to be busy, with a good crowd on the floor, but there did seem to be less nice material available. I was hoping to find a couple of nice buffalo nickels or rarer date commems, but there was a noticeable absence of both.

The show wasn’t a total washout for me though. I sold some duplicate coins, and I was able to pick up three nice commems. Two were upgrades, and one was a new coin that I needed for my set. The two upgrades are a New Rochelle in MS-67 and a Bay Bridge in MS-66. The new coin is a 1935d Arkansas in MS-66.

I thoroughly enjoyed talking to you again and seeing your toners! You had some real nice coins with you, including a couple that I had seen your photographs of, but look even better in person!

Good luck in the Superior auction! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

John

I know what you're saying about finding nice large cents. I still need the classic head (1808-1814) for my type set. A nice example, if you can find it, will set a man back a few dollars. I did find a real nice 1820 cent from the Randall hoard a couple of months back. It was raw and grades a mininimum of ms 63 but it may go to a 64.

Are you collecting types, too?

EZ_E, I am doing a type set, but this large cent will be above my set... I have an AU coronet in the album that I bought as XF (cha ching acclaim.gif) already. I just really want the large cent because they're that cool wink.gif

Was Tom Hyland there?
As always. One of the coins I picked up (memory's failing over 1797 or 1796 and quarter or half) was a PCGS AG for $27k... not too shabby laugh.gif

Jeremy

One good thing about being a type collector is that there are some great coins out there that are a steal in this market. While most collectors are focusing on key dates and the like, there are some great proof 19th century coins that are still very reasonable priced. This can't last forever. I was just talking to a board member earlier today who remembers slabbed common date bust dollars in VF 30 selling for under $500 in 1996. Can you imagine?

Anyway, once again, congratulations for being a part of history at the Smithsonian and best of luck with your collection.