• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 American Eagle West Point Two-Coin Silver Set posted by 00001AAA Coins

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Buy Now or Buy Later?

With over 138,000 sets already sold by the U.S. Mint it seems likely a very large number of 2013 American Eagle West Point Two-Coin Silver Sets will be sold. This won't be a rare coin in 70 condition. It seems like the most sense is to wait and buy the coins already NGC or PCGS graded. This will save the cost of getting the coins certified as well as related shipping costs. It also eliminates the chance a coin won't grade at 70. There should be plenty of perfect 70 coins floating around on EBAY or other websites later in the summer. Still it is hard to wait for something new.

Let me say I like American Silver Eagle (ASE) coins that are interesting, reverse proof or whatever an "enhanced" coin turns out to look like. Yes I know ASE are very popular right now, but the U.S. Mint seems to be flooding the market with them. In 2011 they did it right by putting a limit of 100,000 coins on the 25th Anniversary Sets. To be honest a limit of 25,000 coins on the 2013 American Eagle West Point Two-Coin Silver Sets would be better and at least make collecting them more of a challenge.

13597.JPG

See more journals by 00001AAA Coins

I will wait and buy 2 in MS/PF69 already slabbed for less than the mint cost/slabbing and shipping costs---I do this with any modern coins I buy and want an example of for my collection.

I often can't tell the difference between 69's and 70's anyhow so I just buy them to own the coins in my collection. I have all 3 of the other sets with the reverse proofs so I'll buy one of these later after prices have dropped......

I will also wait and buy 70's already graded. By the time I pay shipping three ways (mint to me, me to NGC,NGCback to me), grading costs and the risk of getting 69's, buying from the mint at $139 isn't such a great deal in my opinion. It would be different if they were truly "limited" editions like the 25th anniversary sets but the mint will sell all of these anyone wants to buy within the order period..

I waited on the SF set last year, paid about $100 over the Mint price for a graded set of 70's, and I would be happy to do about the same with this year's set.

For what it's worth, the Mint order period runs through June 6 at $139 a set, but there are dozens of "buy it now" pre-delivery listings on eBay at $179 and up.