• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSA Hoard CC MSDs posted by JoeFerentz

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Grades were posted for a 1881 CC and 1883 CC. And the results came back...

A nice MS 64 for the '81 and a MS61PL for the '83. A little disappointed on the numerical grade for the '83, but it is Proof-like so that's nice. My first.

13590.jpg

See more journals by JoeFerentz

Joe,

Nice coin. Do you, or others, think the blemish on her face caused the lower grade?

Have fun on your coin adventures.

Semper Fi !

Jack

Jack,

That's exactly what i was thinking, MS61 is a very low grade for a GSA. I just checked the population report, for the 1883CC ,as of today 19,939 GSA graded MS60 and above, with 19,703 (99%) higher than a MS61. I cant see a really big hit to the obverse focal point, so also curious to the grade.

Cheers !

Rich

I think this coin suffers from numerous contact marks as opposed to a handful of overriding marks. IMO it could have went 62.

Gary

Obviously it is pretty difficult to give an opinion from a pix and not have it in hand, but she looks pretty bagged up.

I would be a little bummed at it coming back 61 as well, but you did get PL out of it and PL's in GSA holders are pretty rare in general. I never thought of going after prooflike GSA's until I saw the pops. That changed my mind!

Happy Collecting!

Bo

Obviously it is pretty difficult to give an opinion from a pix and not have it in hand, but she looks pretty bagged up.

I would be a little bummed at it coming back 61 as well, but you did get PL out of it and PL's in GSA holders are pretty rare in general. I never thought of going after prooflike GSA's until I saw the pops.

I agree. Pix are not a way to grade coins.

You know, when I got it , I was kind of bummed (I took a chance-sight unseen, except for photo on an online auction). I looked at it with a loupe and thought " yeah , it might go MS63" and put it away thinking I may have broke even. I looked at it again a few months later and realized it might be PL, so I sent it in to NGC, thinking I scored.

Well, I got the PL, but not the grade I was hoping for, so I still ended up sort of even. Anyway, I now have a PL CC MSD and it looks great with the others.