• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Buffalo Nickel Article in Numismatic News

1 post in this topic

Describes why Buffalo Nicxkels have long been a favorite of collectors

I just received this week's issue of the Numismatic News and read Paul Green's article on the Buffalo Nickel. The author does an excellent job in exploring the history of the series and the origin of James Earle Fraser's classic American coin design. Mr Green discusses at length the origins of the obverse design ( a composite of three Native Americans) and the reverse ( possibly not the famous Black Diamond). The piece well describes the low mintage dates, striking issues, pricing history and overdates of the series. The article concludes with the major reason I was recently drawn to begin collecting the series, to quote the author, " The real attraction of the Buffalo nickel might simply be that it is great art. The classic design by James Earle Fraser has provided many with a sense of being in touch with the Old West, which is something that no other circulating coin design can evoke as well." Hear, hear Mr. Green !!

Attached is a picture of my 1921 buffalo's reverse recently garnered from the March Balt show

Happy collecting trails to all !

Rich

13570.jpg

See more journals by RichH