• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Today's CoinStar Find!

29 posts in this topic

I went to the grocery store today and, as usual, scoped out the CoinStar machine. Usually I find a foreign (usually Canadian or British), or silver coin in the reject tray or sometimes there's a coin on the floor. Today there wasn't anything in the reject tray, but I did see a coin just under the machine's front corner. I picked it up, glanced at it long enough to see that it was a Lincoln cent and that it seemed to be a wheat cent and stuck it in my pocket.

When I got home I fished the coin out of my pocket and confirmed that it was a wheat cent. The date was a bit hard to read in the dim light of the bedroom, so I took it over to the window and was amazed to see that the date was 1909!

I grabbed my magnifying glass and took it over to a desk lamp: it was indeed a 1909 (and a VDB) and it has a lot of luster! It looks like a RB AU at least! (It's substantially nicer than the one I have in my Whitman folder from when I was a teenager.) I think I scraped Lincoln's ear a little when I recovered the coin, but otherwise, it's in great condition!

My joy at this discovery is tempered by my concern that the coin hasn't just spent the past 95 years in someone's change jar, but was likely lifted out of a coin collection. (I suppose the most innocent explanation is that someone's heir couldn't be bothered to sell his coins but rather cashed them in instead - yeah right!)

Frankly, I'd sure like to know what else is inside that CoinStar machine!

Thank God I'm not the only one who does that! Of course it's a lot more fun going inside the machine! Working at a grocery store with one, let me tell you the fun times I have when I periodically check the machine to "clean" it. I still don't understand why they almost always reject silver quarters, not that I would want them to fix that! Out of all my finds only one really stands out. Had some kids cashing in a coffee can filled with change, when the machine jammed. So I went over opened it up, the screen said the sensor was jammed so I pulled the tray out and almost crapped myself when I seen about 2 dozen morgans jammed in the hopper. I told the kids "Sorry guys your dollars are to big for the machine, want me to just give you the money for them?" And to make a long story short I walked away with 23 morgans for $23.

Pssst... gossip.gif BTW- I have a key to the machine, well several actually, and I'm taking offers. devil.gif

Great find Dave! smile.gif We have none of those machines in Montana, to my knowledge. I'd be the nerd standing next to it if there was one! insane.gif

Hoot

Pssst... BTW- I have a key to the machine, well several actually, and I'm taking offers.

Which grocery store chain do you work for?I might just get a second job if they'll let me have the key devil.gif

If I had the money I'd buy my own machines and cash change in for free!

I take it you aren't serious about it being free. Hey, if you get 7% for changing coins you can BUY nice coins with the profit. Then any "goodies" are merely a bonus.

Yeah, I wonder how much one of those machines costs, or at least a cheap rip off version of it. That would give me hours of entertainment sorting through the valut boxes for some finds. And actually the machine at my store charges 8.9% which in my opinion is a complete rip off to sort and count your change.

I don't even want to think about how much income those machines generate for the company, it has to be unreal.

I remember when banks didn't mind sorting your coins for free. Then they started adding a small fee and people flipped out over it and they started to roll their own coins with the account number written on the roll for no fee, but then the bank would often sort it anyway! Now, I think many people think of coin jars as found money, so they don't care about the fees. Or at least they accept them.

My only regret is not being turned on to coins back when you could buy a bank roll of silver for face value. 893frustrated.gif

Hoot - Try Albertsons, we have one over here.

Well, I go there all the time, but I usually have my head in the clouds, so if it's there, I've missed it. frown.gif

Hoot

Nice find, Dave.

I used to work as a cashier as a kid at the local A&P. Got some really cool stuff Many silver certs, and one really gemmy crisp AU $2 note series from the 1960's (1963?, with the red).

Found MANY cool change that filled most of my early date Lincolns and Jeffs, many in nice condition too. Some silver coins too, but nothing special. I think mostly Roosies, 35% silvers and the occasional Merc.

Ahhh, the good ole days!

smile.gif

EVP

I take it you aren't serious about it being free. Hey, if you get 7% for changing coins you can BUY nice coins with the profit. Then any "goodies" are merely a bonus.

Yeah your right I'd probably charge 5% insane.gif

MUST HURT HOOT, MUST HURT HOOT

Now Bart, er, EVP, you should have written that one hundred times AND in cursive! BACK TO THE CHALK BOARD YOUNG MAN!!! sumo.gif

devil.gif Hoot

Oh, great, now I have this little diddy stuck playing in my head over and over... 893frustrated.gif

Of course, that isn't different than any other day! insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I thought perhaps I could use my hair to eclipse the sun and then, as he stumbles in the darkness, you could clobber him over the head with a pillowcase full of acid-date Buffs! devil.gif

TomB,

Wanna go hurt Hoot together? He's bigger than I, so I can use the help anyway. Just remember to bring the rest of the Brady Bunch! We can sing him to submission!

laugh.gif

EVP

I'm just a leeetle guy. sorry.gif

Tra-la-la-la-laaaaaaa........ la-la-la-la! grin.gif

Ack! EVP and TomB in a singing duo? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif............... 893whatthe.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I thought perhaps I could use my hair to eclipse the sun and then, as he stumbles in the darkness, you could clobber him over the head with a pillowcase full of acid-date Buffs! devil.gif

Surely you mean my death! 893applaud-thumb.gif

flowerred.gif Hoot